Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Importing Custom v5 Colors (Read 2582 times)
Ted Goranson

Virginia Beach VA
Importing Custom v5 Colors
Mar 03rd, 2015, 11:32am

I have completely forgotten how I imported the custom colors that I used in my v5 files. I recall that we had to create a colors.xml and a menus.xml file to be in the app support folder.

These were created in 2011, I see.

I should note that I am also moving to a new machine with a clean install of v6.

How do I import the custom colors?

WWW TedGoranson   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Importing Custom v5 Colors
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2015, 12:22pm

The method of defining a palette via a TBC 'color scheme' file is still the same as as v5, but there are a few changes in usage and parts ins v6 that are still under construction:
  • In v5 the colour scheme files were placed in ~Library/Application Support/Tinderbox/ but in v6 they go in ~Library/Application Support/Tinderbox/color schemes/scheme name/file name.tbc.
    • The 'scheme name' folder is named for the colour scheme's name and allows TB to correctly populate the 'Colors' tab of the v6 Document settings.
    • Likewise the 'tbc' filename is usually the scheme name.
    • I'm not sure which of these sets the scheme name if they differ but for v5 compatibility it is likely the TC. For the same reason I think the 'scheme name' folder is optional- though I think best practice is to use one (as that's what the app's built-in schemes do!).
  • v6 has no way to save TBC files (as at v6.1.3) - fornow you'll need to write the XML yourself.
  • The v6 document settings' 'Colors' tab shows all built-in and user schemes.
  • The tab's preview pane renders the scheme's colours, $TextColor, $TextBackgroundColor for the currently selected scheme.  click the apply but to set it as the TBX's current scheme, in which case it overrides the existing one and is also saved in TBX code (i.e. it doesn't then need the scheme file to be present).
  • As in v5, you can drag-drop a 'bare' TBC file from Finder onto a main view window and the TBX will adopt that scheme.
  • If you are comfortable with opening app packages and can read XML look at Tinderbox Six/Content/Resources/color schemes/ and look at the files therein which define the the built-in color schemes.  The app does not use the JPG or PNG files supplied with some sets. I believe the latter were provided by the scheme's original author to aid viewing outside the app (i.e. is the TBXC is emailed outside the app). The built-in examples (source code) also show other TB system Color-type attributes can be set to non-default values via a scheme file.
  • The TBC file format is as for v5, noting that HTML style colour values can be used: colour name, HSV(), RGB(), or #-prefixed six digit hexadecimal colours. The RGB and HSV functions are not TB action code.
Does that help?

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Ted Goranson

Virginia Beach VA
Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2015, 1:33pm

That is amazingly thorough but I am still not clear.

The situation is that in my old file, I used three custom colors for three groups of notes, each set by a prototype.

I am working on a V6 copy of the V5 file, but on a new computer.

The basic job is to add these three custom colors to V6. It is not essential to do just now. I could wait for V6 to mature, but here is the worry.

In the V6 shift, I am having to go through each one of my thousands of notes. I have to adjust the margin from the default, select all and apply the default style and then painstakingly reapply all the lost italics and bold. I am well into this after several weeks.

Now I worry that should I somehow get the color named c_red into V6, it will not convey to all the notes from the prototype that uses it. None of my other style info was inherited. That would mean that Id have to start all over again at the first note to get them looking as they were, with the color I want and have been using.

So if I can reduce your report, it looks like hand coding the three colors is what I have to do. Will investigate.

Ted Goranson

Virginia Beach VA
Reply #3 - Mar 3rd, 2015, 2:31pm

Good news and bad.

Turns out it is trivial to take the old xml color file and emulate the new form tbc file. And of course it is easy to place in the color schemes folder in app support.

The bad news is that TBx v6 doesn't seem to recognize that it is there.

Ted Goranson

Virginia Beach VA
Reply #4 - Mar 3rd, 2015, 2:38pm

I did not follow your directions. Adding an enclosing folder makes it possible for V6 to see the file.

It does seem that the color does promulgate through to the notes automatically. Will have to confirm tonight but it looks good.

Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Mar 3rd, 2015, 5:08pm

Testing further:
  • Each colour scheme (TBC file) needs it's own folder within the /color styles/ folder, otherwise Doc Settings won't pick it up.
  • The folder name and filename must be the same. Spaces are allowed though I'd suggest you avoid any very exotic characters in the name and treat the names as case-sensitive.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print