Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Changing color of titles in outlines (Read 2776 times)
Barbara Snyder

Changing color of titles in outlines
Apr 05th, 2015, 2:22pm

Another raw newbie question. I've read different bits and pieces here and there about colors and prototypes etc, and have seen screenshots of outline views where titles are set to a specific color based on various other settings or actions.

I tried what I thought would be the simplest - selecting a note and editing the color in the Title pane of the text inspector. Nothing changed in outline view, but the text color did change in map view. (Bold and Italic do affect the text, however.)

After much experimentation, I discovered that the title text in outline view seems to be getting its color from the Interior tab of the Appearance inspector. That seems counter-intuitive.

Is there an explanation somewhere of how all these color settings interact with each other? I'm starting out mainly in outline view.

Thanks -- Barbara

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Changing color of titles in outlines
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2015, 12:27pm

Intuitive is dependent on starting assumptions and in this case, 'interior' relates to Map view (arguably TB's primary view). Map icons have a fill colour of $Color ($Color2) is used for progress bars and patterns - confusingly $Fill or 'fills' are a images used as a background for map icons.

In Outline, Note titles are drawn in $Color using $NameFont as the font. The background colour of the view is $MapBackgroundColor (common to all main views). The the Document settings Outline tab for more controls.  For instance, a TB default (that trips me up all the time) is 'darker colors'. If ticked this means Out;line titles are drawn in a darker tint of $Color.  Alternatively, there an option such that $Color is never used and titles in Outline are always black.

Although aTbRef doesn't yet cover the new UI (a v6 version is in preparation) the attributes described above still work as in v5.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Barbara Snyder

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2015, 4:08pm

Thanks, that helped, but now I have a related question. Somehow I changed the size for a name in my outline, and I can't figure out how to change it back to the default for the prototype. I've looked at their attributes side by side and reset anything that looks related, but I still can't make the size match the prototype.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Is there a command to tell an item to re-inherit *all* its properties from the prototype? Because if I don't know what attribute I'm looking for, none of the options I see in the user manual work, since they all involve resetting a particular attribute.

BTW the help also says to use the Info view and "then click the middle button ('Use defaultů') at the bottom of the view's window." That's not there in 6.1.3. And I have done that in the Inspector for all the attributes I thought might be the one I'm looking for.

Thanks -- Barbara

IP Logged
Barbara Snyder

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2015, 4:24pm

Oh of course now I actually found it - OutlineTextSize. But I would still like to know if there's a way to reset all attributes to the prototype values.

Thanks -- Barbara

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2015, 4:37pm

I'm assuming the attribute you're trying to 'fix' is $OutlineTextSize. In v6, Get Info has been changed. So:
  • Select the note you want to fix.
  • Open the Get Info pop-over.
  • From the left column, select 'Attributes' and from the next column select 'Outline'.
  • Click and select the line for $OutlineTextSize. Right-click and in the pop-up menu click the 'Use Inherited value'.
  • Job done!
Note that if you want the Get Info to stay open (as in v5) click anywhere on the margin of the pop-up and drag it until it 'tears off' into a stand-alone window (which will persist to the end of the session unless closed).

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2015, 4:40pm

There is no reset for *all* attributes at once. The easiest way to tell is a note's value is locally set or inherited is to view it in Get Info. If the attribute is shown in bold text it is set locally and not inherited - use the method in my last post to reset it.

You might find my tutorials on this page of use. there are several on v6 inheritance, prototypes, and the Inspector.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Barbara Snyder

Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2015, 6:16pm

Thanks, yes I have found them very helpful.

Using Get Info to hunt down changed values would be easier if there was an "all" option to see one big list. Also an option to see only those that override the default would also be very helpful. I'll send these in as feature requests.

Thanks -- Barbara
Sent from a small keyboard using big thumbs

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #7 - Apr 10th, 2015, 7:49am

This has been discussed in the past. It's worth noting that it doesn't necessarily solve the learner's problem. Unless one knows why something's changed, a list of changes is less useful - or so I found out when treating a similar path to your self when first using TB. Plus, there are some 300 system attributes some of which change for good reason (e.g. moving/resizing notes) and less due to experiments with actions.

Quickstamp does give and indication of inheritance state, albeit for a single attribute at a time. The hardest configuration mischance to spot is a not that has been manually reset to an inherited value rather than have it's inheritance reset. It's for that reason I've suggested a few more of the Inspector controls have subtle hints as to inheritance state. Most pertinent is $Rule. A simple colour hint might be enough to show a rule is not set to inherit regardless of the actual contents of the rule.

I'd certainly welcome an inheritance state test for attributes. That way a query could find all notes where $SomeAttribute has the default value but is also not inheriting it. Currently the two are indistinguishable except by visual inspection in Get Info.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print