Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Inconsistent Stamp behavior (Read 2518 times)
Barbara Snyder

Inconsistent Stamp behavior
Apr 08th, 2015, 4:19pm

If I use Inspect Stamps, then choose a stamp and Apply, it does what I expect.

However, if I choose the same Stamp from the Stamps menu, nothing happens. The tbRef indicates choosing from the menu should apply the stamp.

As always, I wonder what I might be missing or misunderstanding.

Thanks -- Barbara

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Inconsistent Stamp behavior
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2015, 5:40pm

Ah, in v6 if using the Stamp inspector you need to select the desired stamp from the list and click the 'apply' button to use the stamp (so the menu is a faster method!). The new aTbRef6** will describe the correct function.

** it's coming, but the last one took c.8 years to write and there's a lot of info to review besides checking changes/new items. All the while new features are creeping in. A never-ending task!

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Barbara Snyder

Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2015, 5:51pm

I'm sorry, I don't understand. You say "so the menu is a faster method!". But the menu is the method that doesn't work.

You mean, I have to have the stamp inspector open even to use the menu?

OK more testing shows that what does seem to work is to have the stamp inspector open and with focus, then choosing a stamp from the menu. Don't even need to click Apply.

But having to open the inspector and make it frontmost seems to kind of defeat the purpose of making it quick and easy to apply existing stamps by using the menu. At least, how I as a novice would expect that menu to work.

Hope I'm being clear here.

Thanks -- Barbara

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2015, 3:30am

Using v6.1.3. To use a stamp from the stamp menu:
  • Select the note(s).
  • Cursor focus can be in main view or text pane.
  • Open the stamp menu and click the menu item for the desired stamp.
  • Stamp is applied.
To use a stamp from the stamp menu:
  • Select the note(s).
  • Cursor focus can be in main view or text pane.
  • Open the Stamp inspector and click the list item for the desired stamp.
  • The stamp is loaded, click the Apply button.
  • Stamp is applied.
Given the above, I'd look at your action code. For instance, have you tested the code as as a rule, to check it actually works? In testing the above, working quickly I omitted a closing string quote causing the stamp not to work. Always be open to the prospect that action code may not work because of user error in the code rather than other causes. A good approach is to test out new ideas in a small TBX on their own. Once you know the basic code method works you can move it to a more complex environment where a failure should then more accurately reflect other causes of error rather than the code itself.

Here is the (fixed) code of the test stamp I made:

if($Color=="red"){$Color=;}else{$Color="red"}

It toggles the selected note(s) $Color between 'red' and the default $Color.

Could you post the code of the stamp that is not working?

« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2015, 3:33am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Barbara Snyder

Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2015, 8:25pm

Here is my code. They're actions I created by copying examples from elsewhere - I'm still just playing/learning.

$Text=$Text +"\n";
$KeyAttributes.each(x){ $Text=$Text +x+"\n" ; }

$Text=$Text +"\n";
$KeyAttributes.each(x){ $Text=$Text +x+": "+eval("$"+x)+"\n" ; }

But continued testing is showing me that it is a refresh problem with the text pane. IOW, when the focus is in the stamp pane, I see the results in the text pane immediately, whether I use the menu or the pane to apply the stamp. However, when I choose the stamp from the menu and the focus is NOT in the stamp pane, the text pane doesn't show the results until I navigate away and back to the note, or until I apply another stamp from the stamp pane.

Thanks -- Barbara

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Apr 10th, 2015, 7:20am

The action code is thus what we've already discussed, so likely not a factor. But, as you note there is the refresh 'problem', which I believe is one of performance balance. The TB UI is more complex than might be imagined and keeping everything in sync is (apparently) a bit of a signalling hassle. So key attribute values for the selected note, for instance, don't update instantly if being altered by a rule. They do refresh, but on a cycle. If you want a faster refresh toggle on/off the note. If that's not good enough, drop an email to support explaining your woes as it's not an issue addressable by fellow users.

I used to find this onerous but mainly because at the time I was doing as you describe - using note text and KAs to show the result of a rule or action. In actual general use that scenario crops up far less (so s not to be an issue).

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Barbara Snyder

Reply #6 - Apr 10th, 2015, 12:43pm

Thanks, text pane refresh is already on the list, from another issue I reported. I have no idea where it is on a priority list, but at least it's a known issue.

-- Barbara

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print