Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tinderbox for software development... (Read 2338 times)
AGHorne

Tinderbox for software development...
May 29th, 2015, 12:15pm

I was wondering if anybody uses Tinderbox to help develop software/applications?  I'm working with Filemaker, trying to develop a little database to track some inventory.  

Currently, I'm using TaskPaper to keep track of bugs or ideas I'd like to add, but I'm thinking Tinderbox might be a better option.

I was wondering if anyone would like to share their thoughts?  Any Key Attributes that you use? Prototypes?

MarkB do you use Tinderbox to help with your development of the application?

It's been a while since I've used Tinderbox.  I just upgraded to the new version and still trying to find my way around, but looking forward to reading your thoughts...

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Tinderbox for software development...
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2015, 1:30pm

I do.

First, I've got a layered issue tracker and release note archive called Notes.tbx that I share with the backstage crew. It's very simple but indispensable.

Second, the Tinderbox 5->6 transition was managed with a big map view of all the objects in Tinderbox.  This was in essence a construction problem -- trying to locate classes that could be moved (and tested) in the absence of other classes.  For example, dozens of Tinderbox classes use SRect (our rectangle class), but SRect doesn't need many of them (Node, Adornment, Agent, SummaryTable, TanseyTab....).  It does need SLine and SPoint.  So it behooves us to look at SPoint sooner rather than later, while SummaryTable can wait a while.

The Help file is a Tinderbox document. And we're building a Tinderbox document to help manage the new subscription plan.

WWW   IP Logged
AGHorne

Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2015, 1:15pm

Great!

I have a question Mark. In this post:http://www.eastgate.com/Tinderbox/forum//YaBB.cgi?num=1432974480

You said you found an issue in the inspector and now that is now issue #1497.  Is there a way to create an attribute that will automatically assign a number to a note? In this case #1497 to your particular bug report.

I guess another question would be do you assign a number to a bug report or are you simply using a $ChildCount in your $DisplayExpression?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2015, 1:37pm

MB's file uses an $OnAdd which includes:

$MyNum=$MyNum(previousSibling)+1

New notes are added as last sibling (as long as you're not adding them via drag drop a to a specific point) so the above works nicely. Note that as the setting is one-time on-add event a note's $MyNum doesn't alter even of you then re-arranged the note sibling order in within that container.

It's worth adding that Sequential number Number attributes is a whole doc scope so aren't pertinent for this task. Depending on the complexity of you numbering needs

« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2015, 1:39pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
AGHorne

Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2015, 1:52pm

That makes sense.

Thanks Mark A.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print