Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Outline and map coordination (Read 731 times)
Ellen Madono

Outline and map coordination
May 30th, 2015, 3:56am

Nothing goes as expected when you are learning.  So, I put some notes into my map and switched to the outline only to find that by reorganizing some note on the outline and eliminating some untitle notes, I had also lost some of the formating of adornments, notes were lost as well as some notes.  No big deal, but I am wondering how to keep the outline organized at the same time that I work with the map.  Or are the two essentially incompadible if I am going to use functions such as prototypes or adornments formats?

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Outline and map coordination
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2015, 10:03am

If you move notes to a new container, then of course they will now appear in the map of the new container, not the old container.  Nothing is lost, but the note has moved.

Adornments do not appear in outlines (and outline separators do not appear in maps).

I've never “lost” a note in Tinderbox Six.  But I've sometimes misplaced them. (And where did I put my keys?)

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Outline and map coordination
Reply #2 - May 30th, 2015, 11:02am

I haven't done a detailed review since v6 but I'm pretty confident there are no big changes to this section of aTbref - Outline vs. Map Interface. I think @Ellen may find that cluster of articles a useful res to help make sense of things.

I can see one way adornments might 'lose' their customisation, especially in the context of someone starting out with Tinderbox. There is no reason an adornment can't use a note [sic] prototype and derive visual customisation from it. 'Tidy' up a bit, delete that prototype without realising its relevance and the adornment loses its customisation.

Tinderbox is very flexible is supporting incremental formalisation. Put another way, it's easy to add structure to the document after you've started work on it - try doing that in a database. It must be said though, that a phase perhaps not well documented is formalising your formalisations. IOW, you add some prototypes on the fly. But, are they now stored in the right place.  Did you check the notes you expect to inherit from the prototype actually are (and don't have locally set values). Hmm, I sense a missing tutorial there.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print