Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why won't maps ever display w/o scrolling? (Read 2297 times)
Russel

textbook author,
educator,
instructional
designer

Santa Fe, NM
Why won't maps ever display w/o scrolling?
Jun 03rd, 2015, 3:55pm

I get that map view has its specific uses and I'd really like to use it. But whenever I shift to map view, it seems I always have to scroll-search here and there before seeing anything. I can try cleaning notes up, aligning, and putting them into clear view. But when I return to the same container later, I once again am forced to scroll and search for what's on the map, or at least to bring the container notes into full view. I normally use TB on a large screen, at a reasonable zoom level.

Is there something I've missed about getting map view to focus directly on any notes within a container?

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Why won't maps ever display w/o scrolling?
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2015, 5:38pm

When switching tabs, maps will scroll to the last recorded scroll position -- which is generally the scroll position for the most recent recorded change.  

Occasionally, Tinderbox may scroll to the wrong place, or occasionally the right place is wrong for you. There are LOTS of fast ways to move in maps, especially:

• just type the name of the note you want to scroll to
  • press ctrl-opt-cmd to briefly zoom out

WWW   IP Logged
Russel

textbook author,
educator,
instructional
designer

Santa Fe, NM
Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2015, 11:26pm

The quick zoom out via ctrl-opt-cmd to briefly zoom out looks especially handy.

Thus far, I've only constructed files of any size via outline view. I can imagine that construction of a file in map view will likely result in maps that lay out better for viewing. And of course I see all sorts of cleanup options and other visual enhancements that would make map view come alive.

Thanks as always for your personal attention to my novice-class questions.

IP Logged
Philip Hellyer

Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2015, 9:02am

When moving up and down note-levels in a single map tab, I also usually find myself in an unexpected location on the note that I've navigated to; it seems to be based on the location I was viewing on the note that I navigated from.

For parent-child notes that I'm likely to navigate in this way frequently, I spend some time moving the notes on each map so that they're in an expected place when navigating up and down. That helps, but I think it'd be even more helpful if the map (not the tab!) remembered its position.

Tinderbox 6.3.0 on OSX Mavericks 10.9.5

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print