Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is anyone using TB as a ZettelKasten? (Read 3246 times)
Simon Smailus

Tipton, UK
Is anyone using TB as a ZettelKasten?
Jun 09th, 2015, 12:27pm

I would be interested in hearing from anyone using TB as a ZettelKasten. Specifically your setup and how your finding it fits with TB.

Simon Smailus
WWW   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Is anyone using TB as a ZettelKasten?
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2015, 12:48pm

This was discussed here a couple of months back. Frank Tansey also did a tutorial on a related topic, a Zettelkasten-styles filing system, some years ago.

WWW   IP Logged
James Regan

Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2015, 1:48pm

I too am interested in this topic. Is Frank Tansey's discussion of this topic available on the forum? I tried to locate it, but was unable to do so.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2015, 4:38pm

I *think* it's in the demo bank; it *might* also be in Tutorial 1. Mark Anderson will know for sure.

The core idea is simply to set up a sequential attribute.  A Tinderbox note corresponds to a file folder label; you pick up the letter or the article or whatever, slap the file number onto it, and drop it in the files. In Tinderbox, you add a description of the material to the note.  The result gives you a decent everything bucket for physical stuff, yet requires no deliberation when assigning things to a topic or category.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2015, 5:25pm

I don't believe it's in my demo bank - or not directly as a ZettelKasten. I do recall past conversation on this topic though exactly when evades me. I'm on leave in the wilds of Devon right now with only my MBAir and Dropbox files (my demo bank is in the lattter and I'm reminded it needs updating/weeding for v6 use).  I'll take a look at the tutorial CDs - and those of past TB Weekends - when I get home later in the week.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Simon Smailus

Tipton, UK
Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2015, 5:29pm

Thanks Mark, enjoy your time, weather's good at the moment! I've looked through the tutorial I had from the CD, but cannot find anything, but, I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking for!

Simon Smailus
WWW   IP Logged
Jordan T. T-H

Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2015, 12:30pm

Don't mean to necro but since this thread is still on page 1, did anything come of this or does anyone have any good examples of this?

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2015, 1:07pm

I've 00s of TBXs here but none titled for ZettelKasten.  I think the discussion Mark B refers to is here. Sadly the URL given in that thread by 'Gernt' for an example file is now a 404. But, it seems I do have a copy of that TBX file. It would have been made in v5.x. I've checked it opens in v6 but otherwise it is as originally downloaded. I've put a zip of it here.

You might also find this blog on ZettelKasten related things of interest.

That's as much as I've got, and I'm not very familiar with the technique.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print