Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tinderbox basics: where? (Read 6126 times)
Robert M

Tinderbox basics: where?
Jun 12th, 2015, 1:02pm

I've been trying for over an hour to do some basic things in the Tinderbox Demo, and can't find basic information. Is this product still being developed?  The screencasts on the site are all older versions, many years old in some cases. You can still register for the 2013 Tinderbox weekend. The Getting Started item in the Help menu is vast but doesn't contain basic information. I'm trying to figure out if I should buy it but the Demo doesn't come with the Help Manual.  The Online Help has many headings but limited information.  Is this product done for?

Example: I want to create an adornment that changes whatever I put into it in various ways. This is rapidly shown in an outdated screencast, but there's no mention of it in any help file.

Example: I want to set up some key attributes, but can't find a list of functions/expressions with definitions. Do I really have to memorize what all of them do in order to use them?  How do I do that if there's no list?

Example: on the links popover, there are link titles to choose from. How do you define your own? Can you? The link help file doesn't mention hardly any of the choices in the boxes in the links popover.

Example: the Actions item in the help menu in the demo describes the OnAdd action while talking about the Action Inspector, but doesn't tell you how to create it.

If anyone has any tips about how to solve the above questions or whether Tinderbox is continuing to be developed, I'd much appreciate it!

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Tinderbox basics: where?
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2015, 3:05pm

Is Tinderbox under active development? Yes. v6 is on it's 12th release: see more here and here.

Quote:
I want to create an adornment that changes whatever I put into it in various ways.

An adornment influences items placed upon it (potentially including other adornments) via the OnAdd action used by container notes. The action is stored in the $OnAdd attribute. The easiest way to set that for an adornment is to select it, then open the Action Inspector's Action tab. There are other ways, but I'd start with this one.

Quote:
I want to set up some key attributes, but can't find a list of functions/expressions with definitions.

Key attributes, are again stored as an attribute ($KeyAttributes). Use the '+' button top right of the text pane to set the selected note's key attributes.

Quote:
(re links) How do you define your own? Can you?

Yes you can. You can either:
  • add them on demand, when you first need them, in the Create Link pop-up dialog.
  • Add/remove link types via the Document Inspector Links tab.
Quote:
while talking about the Action Inspector, but doesn't tell you how to create it

You don't create an 'Action Inspector'. Rather it is simply one of the panels of the persistent Inspector (similar to those in many app) that you can open close as needed. More on the Action Inspector

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2015, 3:51pm

The most recent release of Tinderbox shipped roughly a week ago.

WWW   IP Logged
Robert M

Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2015, 6:00pm

Fantastic.  And the link to the online Tinderbox reference pages is extremely helpful. Are there also guides from you or anyone else about setting Tinderbox up for game design?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Jun 12th, 2015, 6:37pm

I've written some tutorials here: http://www.acrobatfaq.com/tbdemos/clarify.html. The v6 ones are marked as such. Whilst the overall window UI and Inspector are new in v6, pretty much everything else works the same, e.g. On Add actions. So tutorials are less 'out of date' than you've perhaps supposed.

I'm not aware of anyone doing game design, but that doesn't mean they're not. Anyone?

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Robert M

Reply #5 - Jun 12th, 2015, 6:50pm

Even novel writing demos, examples, tips, etc. would be useful. Basic setup. Thanks.

IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2015, 2:36am

Quote:
The Getting Started item in the Help menu is vast but doesn't contain basic information.

Welcome to trying out Tinderbox! I am biased, in that I've relied on it for six or seven years now. And it does take some learning. But actually if you look again at the Getting Started document, and post further specific questions here, I think you'll find that you can make your way ahead. Or at least see if it is right for you.

1) Mark Anderson's online demos, http://www.acrobatfaq.com/tbdemos/clarify.html, are very useful. If you work through them, they might not solve the exact problem you have, but they'll give you an idea of how to approach yours.

2) Of the specific Qs you ask — about having adornments change note properties, and changing Key Attributes — you can find the how-to in "Getting Started."  Chapter 6, "Actions," talks about on-add actions, which are the same for adornments. Chapter 4, Adornments, has a sub-section on Key Attrib that tells you how to manage them. I don't use links often so don't have a view on that.

3) The program is under very, very active ongoing development.

Good luck!  

IP Logged
Hugh

Reply #7 - Jun 14th, 2015, 12:59pm

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #8 - Jun 15th, 2015, 12:00pm

Game design: one great source would be Stacey Mason, ex-Eastgater now pursuing a doctorate at UC Santa Cruz.  I don't think Stacey follows the forums religiously, but you might ping her at <stcmason@ucsc.edu>.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print