Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Linking notes between different levels (Read 1367 times)
Ellen Madono

Linking notes between different levels
Jun 14th, 2015, 10:23pm

I read the help file instructions on linking and I am not sure if they are describing linking between different levels on a map.  All this talk about about URLs may not mean internet, but then what does it mean?  Any hints would be appreciated.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Linking notes between different levels
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2015, 4:08am

URLs, or Uniform Resource Locators, in lay use generally imply web/internet based resources outside one's own computer. Of course, it's a more complex but the wider picture doesn't really help for where you are.

What, specifically is your issue re URLs?  It would help us help you if you could try to phrase your questions in less open-ended fashion. Open-ended questions increase the chance you'll get an answer to a question you didn't intend to ask or a long answer you can't follow because the answerer is trying to cover every question you are possibly asking.

So, are you actually trying to ask about how to link to an item not on the current map?

« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2015, 4:13am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2015, 7:20am

If trying to use linking within Tinderbox, read the new articles (and linked pages) in this section I've just added to aTbRef on Link creation/parking tools

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
LN

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2015, 4:51pm

That's a good tip.  Thanks.

Meta:  I thought it was best to be as specific as possible.  Not sure how to leave the question open at the same time be specific enough so you don't feel you have to answer every possible implication of the question.  Difficult balance.  What you don't know is generally more important than what you already sort of know so you are able to be specific.  Maybe I can be specific and you can choose go go outside my area of understanding if you think I need to know more.  You seem to do that anyway.  I am grateful.

Back to the problem, I am trying to make a link in a single TBx document or between 2 TBx documents and from one note to another.  They are not on the same level, so I can't draw a link between them.  That's specific.  Is that ok as a statement of the problem?

In the big picture, I am trying to set up my files so that I can easily find information.  I don't want to be lost in a sea of my own thoughts and ideas.

« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2015, 4:52pm by LN »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2015, 5:25pm

OK, you've two separate linking issues: internal linking and external linking.

You can't link - in the normal TB sense - between documents. You can try the tinderbox:// pseudo-protocol as already described.

To link between notes not in the same view (e.g. on different map levels, use the link park as described.  Drag a link from the current maps' note to the park. Change tab focus so as to show the link target note or show the note in a new tab. In either case then drab from the link park to the target note to complete the link.

As a side point, if you want to keep notes more closely linked you're better off using one document than many, but there is no single right choice that suits everyone.  You are best advised to experiment using one file vs several and see which fits your work style the best.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print