Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
pseudo URLs for Tinderbox notes (Read 2124 times)
Anand

pseudo URLs for Tinderbox notes
Jul 03rd, 2015, 9:15am

I'd like to link into specific Tinderbox notes from external applications. For example, I might be writing in Omnifocus or Word and want to place a link to a specific Tinderbox note.

I imagine doing this with a pseudo-URL, like tinderbox://...

does each note in Tinderbox have a pseudo-URL? And, how robust is the pseudo-URL of a TBX note to potential future changes in its title and/or location within a TBX file, or perhaps even a change in the name of the Tinderbox file itself? I assume the note's pseudo-URL is probably an unmodifiable attribute associated with each note, but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: pseudo URLs for Tinderbox notes
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2015, 10:41am

Tinderbox does have a pseudo URL that works on the Mac on which Tinderbox is installed. The documentation for this new feature - still being defined - is here.

Not withstanding my notes (in the linked article) I think the feature needs the doc to be open in Tinderbox (happy to be wrong) as otherwise there isn't a way to specify to Tinderbox which TBX file to use or where it is on the Mac. Any try with the app closed and it if works then great.

I suspect someone here is using this feature so might like to chip in with their experience.

« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2015, 10:41am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Joe Camosy

South Florida
Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2015, 5:40pm

Just tried this new feature in Tinderbox 6.3.1 and discovered that it does not work correctly.  Here's what I did:

In tinderbox, I selected a note and right mouse clicked to select the option:  "Copy Note URL"

I then exited Tinderbox.

Then in Devonthink Pro Office (version 2.8.5) I pasted from the clipboard to a rich text note and saw this pasted to the note:

tinderbox://My%20Research%20Notes%201?view=outline+select=1433281131;

I then selected it and chose the "make link" option to make it directly clickable as a link.

Then when I clicked on it the first time, nothing happened!

But then I clicked on it the second time, Tinderbox did start up and showed the note that I had selected.   At this point, other that having to click on it twice in Devonthink, I thought I had demonstrated that it worked.

I then selected another note in Tinderbox to see if clicking the link in Devonthink would shift to the selected note.  

Alas!   When I clicked (twice) in Devonthink, Tinderbox did NOT shift to show me the note that I had linked to!

So now I thought, does this only work if Tinderbox is not loaded?  So I closed Tinderbox and tried my Devonthink link again.  After two clicks on the link in Devonthink, Tinderbox came up again, but this time it was still showing the last note that I had been showing, and NOT the note that was specified in the link!

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2015, 5:47pm

The best way to debug tinderbox:// questions is to use Safari to the terminalís open command.  This is especially true when we're talking about interactions between disparate programs.

The best way to report tech support issues is info@eastgate.com.  Thanks!

WWW   IP Logged
Joe Camosy

South Florida
Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2015, 5:51pm

I'm not familiar with this command.  But I'll Google "Safari and Terminal Open" to see what I can find.

IP Logged
andreas grimm

Reply #5 - Jun 23rd, 2016, 6:07pm

Since this problem has no been fixed yet as far as Tinderbox Version 6.6.1 is concerned, I would like to know what kind of working workaround one could use in the meantime.

Best
andreas

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2016, 3:20am

I don't think users here can resolve this as the feature is evolving and not yet fully defined. Please send such questions directly to support who, unlike users, can see 'under the hood'.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
andreas grimm

Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2016, 3:56am

Good point, Mark A. Will do this.

IP Logged
Pages: 1