Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Automatic map view from outline hierarchy (Read 8288 times)
B.Moreira

Automatic map view from outline hierarchy
Jul 17th, 2015, 7:59am

Dear all,
I have an outline composed by notes belonging to different prototypes. I have prototypes that reflect the structure of the thesis (CHAPTER, SUB-CHAPTER, TOPIC) and others that are notes related to them (reference, idea). For example:

CHAPTER
  SUB-CHAPTER
        reference
        reference
  SUB-CHAPTER
     TOPIC
        reference
        idea
     TOPIC
        reference
        reference
CHAPTER
  SUB-CHAPTER
        reference
  SUB-CHAPTER
     TOPIC
        reference
        reference
     TOPIC

This works good for the outline view, but I would like to have a map view of the structure of the thesis (only prototypes = CHAPTER, SUB-CHAPTER or TOPIC).

So, instead of the hierarchical organization of containers I would like a FLAT output of all notes concerning the structure of the thesis in MAP view, and, more challenging, with relations / links between these notes, mimicking the hierarchical structure of the outline but in a flat map view.

I was thinking of:

1) create an agent that will gather aliases of all structural notes;
2) creating a rule inside this agent to link notes according to their hierarchy (if a NOTE is inside another NOTE, create a link between them).

Here is a mockup of what I am trying to accomplish: automatically seeing this:

as this:

Hope I'm clear, all help appreciated!

« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2015, 8:00am by B.Moreira »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Automatic map view from outline hierarchy
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2015, 9:40am

That doesn't sound hard to do:

Make an agent to find the descendants of all top level items. To make this easier, I'd put all my 'chapter' notes in a single outline container - let's call it "BOOK". Into that we now move all the "CHAPTER" notes.  Our agent query is now:

descendedFrom("BOOK")

This will match all the children of BOOK, the children of those children and so on down. The next point is important, any action in agent needs to consider whether it acts on the alias (in the agent) or the original of that alias. for instance, aliases can have their own basic (note-to-note) links - only text links (text-to-note) are common to both alias and original.

Also consider prototypes here. If you give different prototypes to chapters, sub-chapters, topics, references and ideas it's easier to assign different link types to the links you'll make.

Also note that outline order has no effect on the map (other than stacking order if notes overlap). Conversely, map position has no effect in outline. Adornments show up only in maps. Separators show up only in outline.

Busy just now and I return later to the linking action, but that should help get started. Once the links are added you can then set $Container to flatten the outline.

Last tip: make a copy of your file and work with that until you've got all the details safely figured out.

« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2015, 1:15pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2015, 5:07pm

Now he fun begins. A problem using an agent is we can't use linkTo/linkFrom in agent as the basic links created will always attach to the alias in the agent and not the original. But assuming we're starting with an outline and link that before flattening the outline to a map.

First we add a prototype 'p_thing', disable its rule then add the $Rule:

if($ChildCount){linkFrom(children)}

This says to a note using the prototype "if you have any children, make an un-typed link from each child to yourself". Now we use the agent (see post above) to set an action:

$Prototype="p_thing";

We see all out notes are linked but still in the outline. We now change the same agent's outline to:

$Prototype=;$Container(original)="BOOK";

Thus we first remove the previous prototype and then move the original of the alias into 'BOOK'. The map of 'BOOK' now contains all book elements. You will then need to tidy up the map by dragging items where desired on the map.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2015, 9:58am

Mark A, thanks for laying out the logic and steps here. Your detailing of how an agent would work, in creating links whenever it found $ChildCount etc, is very useful.

Here is a question I ask for clarification—my own, and perhaps the original writer's too. I believe that if a user wants, at the same time, to have an outline view showing the hierarchical relationship depicted above, and also a map view showing the linked representations of the hierarchical relationship, then either the map view or the outline view must be built with aliases.

Right? Because, as I understand it, the original versions of the notes must, by TB definition, exist in one or the other of two mutually exclusive states. Either the originals are all in the same container, which is to say at the same outline level (so they can be shown, as originals, on the same map); or else they are in a hierarchy of containers (so they will have a nested parent/child relationship in an outline.) But they can't be both.

And to spell this out: if you had an agent that took what had been child items, and moved their originals to the same level as the parents so they could appear (with links) on a map, then the originals could no longer appear in the desired way in the outline. Right?

So if the original question was how a user could create an outline view, and then automatically generate a corresponding linked-map view, but also preserve the outline view, am I right in thinking that the answer would have to involve aliases in one view or the other?

Thanks

« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2015, 10:07am by J Fallows »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2015, 7:03pm

@JF. In short - it's late here - yes! An as aliases can have their own basic links the aliases in the agent could replicate the outline. But, probably not in an emergent outline as aliases may not (I can't be sure) persist if the agent alters. IOW, I'm not sure it's a a way to have an always-on flat copy of an outline, despite the parts being there in theory.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Jul 19th, 2015, 10:35am

After a number of blind-alley experiments, I think I have a solution for a map-before-outline method that preserves - or rather pre-stores - a outline structure for a map. There are a few assumptions to the following technique but I'll put them at the end as they'll make more sense once I've explained the process.

We start with a map, in a container*, BOOkMAP. We make a prototype p_mapitem. Set the map container $OnAdd: $Prototype="p_mapitem". In the prototype set $RuleDisabled to true (tip: un-tick the 'enabled' box in the Rule inspector for that item). Add a new String attribute $ParentItem and set it as a key attribute for the prototype. Give the prototype the rule: linkTo($ParentItem).

Now, make a stamp. Set the action to: $ParentItem=$Name(parent)

Now select all descendants of BOOK in the outline and apply the stamp.  This assumes* all notes that have children have a unique $Name.

Now, still in Outline view and with the above selection, drag the whole selection into BOOKMAP. Note this drag flattens the selection so all moved items are now siblings.

Open the map view of BOOKMAP. You will need to move all the times as some may overlap each other. But you should notice the items are now linked.  This is what I see (after some manual arrangement) of the items:

*Assumptions:
  • The map is in a container, rather than at the root of the doc so we can address everything in the map via an inside() or descendedFrom() query.
  • Items on the map have unique names. If there are other notes of the same name outside this map you can get away with using the $Path of the target item in $ParentItem instead of just the name.  If you want to auto-link via a rule, you can't have >1 item of the same name in the same map as even a $Path won't differentiate them. Sadly, commands like linkTo() don't allow
Of course, if you now change $ParentItem for an exiting note, it will add a link to the new parent but you'll need to manually delete the link to the old parent. To automate that you'd need to add a further String attribute $OldParentItem. Then add this to the existing prototype rule:

if($OldParentItem){unlinkTo($OldParentItem);$OldParentItem=;}

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
B.Moreira

Reply #6 - Jul 19th, 2015, 7:09pm

Thank you Mark and J Fallows for your help. I'm learning a lot on TB. Tried the method described and it works great. Now I will try a challenge, which was the indented workflow (sorry, I think I was not clear on it): I intent to continuously work on the outline, adding/removing/moving children between notes, while having the flat map automatically being updated,preserving the outline hierarchical view... I will make some tests on this!

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #7 - Jul 20th, 2015, 3:11am

You can have the map and outline at the same time.  So I think what you need to do is make aliases of your outline objects and place them in a single container elsewhere, to form your map. I'd make the aliases manually rather than use an agent map as agents don't always keep the same alias from query cycle to cycle. This matters if you want to see the links between the aliases and/or control placement of items on the map. Note that if you select multiple notes and then use Edit menu -> Make Alias (Cmd+L) then all selected notes will gain an alias next to their original in the current view. You can then select the aliases and drag them to your map.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
B.Moreira

Reply #8 - Jul 21st, 2015, 8:04am

Thank you. But, as far as I understood - please correct me if I'm wrong - I can't make an alias inside a container linkTo another alias in the same container by using a Rule (i.e. the link will be made from the Alias to the original). I can only create the links manually by dragging.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #9 - Jul 21st, 2015, 8:43am

Short answer: yes you can, but you need to cite the target by full $Path and not just the $Name)

You should be able to use the linkTo() (and similar link/unlink operator) to link to or from an alias as long as the alias' original is in a different container. This is because you can specify the linked to/from note by a $Path rather than a name. Actually, if you specify the linked item(s) via a find() then you can work around this restriction by testing $IsAlias in the query (see more).

You may find this article useful in explaining when aliases do/don't share their original's links.

Aliases created manually always have the same $ID as long as they exist. Aliases in agents may change their $ID over the life of the doc. In short, if a while a note ceases to match a query, the alias to it is deleted; when the note re-matches the query a new alias with a new $ID is created.

An agent query aims to match each note once. It will only match an alias (and make an alias of an alias!) if the alias is in query scope but not the aliases original. By contrast, find() matches originals and any aliases and doesn't de-dupe them.

You can have a map of aliases (as described up-thread) with links between them to mimic an outline, but not vice-versa. This is because aliases can't have children - i.e. you can't nest them in an outline-like manner.

Sorry for such a range of seemingly unconnected things but they're all edge case parts of what you're trying to do.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
B.Moreira

Reply #10 - Jul 21st, 2015, 10:25am

Thanks for the informative post. I have managed to link to a specific alias with this rule:

Code:
linkTo(find(descendedFrom("ALIASES") & $IsAlias & $Name=="CHAPTER 1")) 

Quote:
Sorry for such a range of seemingly unconnected things but they're all edge case parts of what you're trying to do.

They have helped a lot. Thanks again!

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #11 - Jul 21st, 2015, 10:31am

Great, happy you're making progress.  Smiley

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
B.Moreira

Reply #12 - Jul 21st, 2015, 11:28am

I think it's done!

– The "OUTLINE" container contains structural notes such as chapters, topics, etc and complementary notes such as ideas and references. Structural notes have the prototype = "map_item".

– the prototype stores the name of the parent note in the $parentName variable by applying the rule:

Code:
$parentName=$Name(parent); 

– The "MAP_aliases" agent collects the structural notes from the "OUTLINE" as aliases with the query

Code:
descendedFrom("OUTLINE") & $Prototype = "map_item"; 

and then applies to them the action

Code:
linkTo(find(descendedFrom("MAP_aliases") & $IsAlias & $Name=$parentName(that))); 

And this is it. If I add a structural note to the outline, it will appear in the agent's map view linked to its parent. If something funny goes on on this map view, I can delete all items at once and they will be recreated with the links.

Now it only remains some styling and layout to do with the map view – arranging chapters, subchapters and topics in some kind of hierarchy (although this can be done manually).

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

SOME IMAGES:

THE THREE OBJECTS: outline with originals, prototype, and agent with aliases

The Outline: originals with the prototype applied to the items to appear on the agent's map

The Agent: map view with automatic links

« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2015, 11:35am by B.Moreira »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #13 - Jul 21st, 2015, 11:50am

Thanks for sharing.  I think it's really helpful to others starting out to see proof positive of someone successfully turning the advice and references into something working.

A nice nuance of your solution is the way notes' like 'idea' are filtered out by use of prototypes.

The map image reminds me of one aspect of aliases - although aliases of container notes look like containers in a map, if you drill down, there's nothing there (aliases can't have actual children). You can, if you like, hide the viewport part of the icon (the sub-map) by dragging the bottom of the title area (see more). Note however that this change affects both original and all aliases as $TitleHeight is not intrinsic.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #14 - Jul 21st, 2015, 2:52pm

Sincere thanks to you both (Mark A and B.Moreira) for working through this in public. Very interesting and instructive, and impressive that it actually works!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print