Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Automatic map view from outline hierarchy (Read 8284 times)
B.Moreira

Re: Automatic map view from outline hierarchy
Reply #15 - Jul 21st, 2015, 3:10pm

Thank you Mark Anderson and J Fallows. I've already learned a lot by reading forum threads in this forum, so I'm glad to contribute to it as well. Thanks for the "$TitleHeight" suggestion Mark I think in my case its ok because I won't be seeing the "OUTLINE" in map view, so no problem of it affecting the originals.
Now I'll try and do some visual formatting to the Map of Aliases. Hope to check back here soon Wink

IP Logged
B.Moreira

Reply #16 - Jul 21st, 2015, 6:46pm

Now I'm experimenting with some visualization of the map.
I have replaced the "MAP_aliases" action code with the following:

Code:
$NotesCount=sum(find(inside("MAP_aliases")),1);
$increment=360/$NotesCount;
$radius = $radius(previous) + $increment;

$Xpos =15*sin(radians($radius)); $Ypos=15*cos(radians($radius));

linkTo(find(descendedFrom("MAP_aliases") & $IsAlias & $Name=$parentName(that))); 

(previously created $NotesCount, $increment and $radius as number attributes of the prototype or prototypes, since now I have 3: one for the chapter, one for the subchapter, one for the topic).

The result is a circular layout:

But what I am trying to do is having 3 concentric circles: one inner circle for the chapters, one mid for the subchapters and an outer circle for the topics. Should be a matter of creating 3 actions with 3 different radius but at this stage of night it's being difficult Wink will try tomorrow.

IP Logged
rtalexander

Reply #17 - Aug 4th, 2015, 3:21pm

Hey, could you post a version of the TB file that you have all this working??

Thanks!

IP Logged
B.Moreira

Reply #18 - Aug 4th, 2015, 5:05pm

Hi rtalexander,
here it is. Have fun Wink
Bruno.

http://brunomoreira.net/shared/outline2circularMap.zip

IP Logged
rtalexander

Reply #19 - Aug 4th, 2015, 5:37pm

Thanks!

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #20 - Aug 4th, 2015, 6:26pm

You want your different outline levels in different circles. For an alias, the outline level you need is $OutlineDepth(original). Depending on the depth of the 'top' level -if not at root - you may need to add a fixed factor to rebase the sequence. Thus if the 3 levels are depth 4/5/6 you might use ($OutlineDepth(original)-1) to get a 1/2/3 sequence.

The latter can then be applied as a factor to you $Xpos/$Ypos calculation. For simple example, instead of using a factor of 15 you might use $OutlineDepth(original)*5, giving a factor of 5/10/15. Of course, you may need to tweak that factor for relative separation but I think the premise works. However, this method does mean each circle has gaps where the relevant entry is in a different 'band'. You could use a different count for each level of item - you'd need to see how that looks when plotted

Other issues you might trip on are sort order. Consider: $Sort="Name";$SortAlso="original note";

If you want the inner rings to sit 'centred' for their next ring out (children) then you'll need to tweak the maths more, but I hope that gives some more ideas.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #21 - Aug 5th, 2015, 8:08am

After some head scratching I have this:

Here's a zip of the TBX. The document opens with a set of notes explaining the changes I made to the TBX up-thread.

« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2015, 2:33am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
rtalexander

Reply #22 - Aug 5th, 2015, 2:42pm

This is looking great!

How will you deal with the issue of a container having some many children that they overlap at the same level children of the container's siblings? Would it be a matter of adjusting the X/Y size constant (thus increasing the radius for a given level) to account for the overlap? Of course, this would get a bit hairy as you would have to somehow retain enough information so as to get the correct radius for the next level.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #23 - Aug 5th, 2015, 4:13pm

To fit more items you need a bigger ring. If you look at the code in the TBX's linked in the posts above you'll see how that's calculated.

Edit: more specifically, look at the action code for the agent holding the map.

« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2015, 2:33am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #24 - Aug 6th, 2015, 11:59am

This is really a beautiful display! And, like some other questions asked and answered "in public," it suggests related uses and techniques I hadn't been aware of.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #25 - Aug 6th, 2015, 1:33pm

It was fun to work out and, in fairness, all the heavy lift was already done in the original document. With hindsight, my last image might have looked nicer if i'd tweaked doc settings to use straight line links. But generally the latter setting's less good and you can't change the setting per link type or via action code so I stuck with the default.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
B.Moreira

Reply #26 - Aug 17th, 2015, 6:20pm

Thank you Mark Anderson! Indeed a very nice display, and the solution I was looking for! TBX is really flexible. Most importantly I think there are a lot of good people here looking to learn and help Wink

EDIT: just one minor bug in the TBX file posted: the action in "MAP_aliases_sorted" container references the "MAP_aliases" container that does not exist probably did and was renamed to "MAP_aliases_sorted" afterwards. Easy to fix and get back automatic linking between notes Smiley

« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2015, 6:41pm by B.Moreira »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #27 - Aug 18th, 2015, 2:53am

Thanks.  Typo in action fixed and online demo file updated.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print