Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Key attributes of prototype not on descendants (Read 2112 times)
Lisette Brunson
Ex Member

Key attributes of prototype not on descendants
Jan 07th, 2015, 1:59pm

Hello,
I've just started with Tinderbox (version 6.1.1 running on OSX Mavericks).  I love the idea and the potential of the program, but I am having trouble getting the hang of how to execute my ideas.  Folks on the forum here seem tremendously helpful, so I will jump in with a couple of newbie questions!

1) I have set a prototype that applies to a number of notes. When I specify new key attributes for the prototype, the key attributes of existing notes based on that prototype do not display the new key attributes that I added to their prototype. Should this be automatic, or do I have to force a reapplication of the prototype somehow?

2) I have played around with the file a bit and have made a number of mistakes that I can't seem to track (e.g., a. the fonts for some notes based on the same prototype is different for different notes and I can't figure out where the font changes are being specified; and b. When I try to change the date in one of the attributes associated with certain notes, the value reverts to what was there before, even though I have deleted all of the agents in the file and the inspector (Tinderbox tab) tells me there are no rules or agents left). Is there a way to recover the content of the notes and the outline structure but reset all other attributes to the system's original defaults? I would fine with starting a new file and pasting the notes with some version of "paste without formatting", and then recreating my prototypes and user attributes.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Lisette

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Key attributes of prototype not on descendants
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2015, 4:18pm

Quote:
Should this be automatic, or do I have to force a reapplication of the prototype somehow?

It is normally automatic but, if you have edited the key attributes that overrides the inheritance. You may find this article and this one of use in understanding inheritance and how to reset it.

Quote:
a. the fonts for some notes based on the same prototype is different for different notes and I can't figure out where the font changes are being specified

(I'm assuming you're referring to font(s) in $Text). All notes inherit initial title (NameFont) and text ($TextFont) settings. In the case of $Text it is a bit counter-intuitive. Once a $Text has been edited, which includes as little as clicking into a blank note, that note ceases to inherit $TextFont change. There is a rationale behind this but there isn't a short/easy version of that I can describe here!

Quote:
b. When I try to change the date in one of the attributes associated with certain notes, the value reverts to what was there before

You may have removed all agents but check the note's rule (ask if not sure how). A rule can set values for attributes.

Quote:
Is there a way to recover the content of the notes and the outline structure but reset all other attributes to the system's original defaults

As in a one-touch button to do this? No. Depending on your number of notes and the number of attributes you've altered, it's probably quicker to start over and copy/paste across note $Text as required.

Quote:
I would fine with starting a new file and pasting the notes with some version of "paste without formatting", and then recreating my prototypes and user attributes.

Tip. When experimenting, use a test document you can throw away once broken - or use a copy of your main doc. Then, once you've successfully implemented a new structure, rule, prototype whatever, you can then safely create the same in your clean document with far less chance of blow-back. Experimenting on your only copy of data you've spend hours assembling is more of a thrill seeker's approach!

Sorry if some of the advice is a bit generic but without seeing more of the document in question, it's hard to be more specific.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Lisette Brunson
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2015, 1:39pm

This is really helpful- thanks!  

Just to clarify, does $Text refer to text in the body of the note, or also to the text in the title?

Also, could you just specify how to "start over and copy/paste across note $Text as required"? If I copy the whole note from one document to another, I presume all of the attribute values go with it, so do you mean I should copy the title and text of each note one by one to create new notes one by one in a new document?

--Lisette

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2015, 4:05pm

$Text is the text (body copy) of the note. The title is stored in $Name.

Copying the whole note and pasting will copy the note with formatting, all non-intrinsic system attributes and any user attributes that exist in both source and target document (i.e. it won't auto-create missing attributes in the target).

I was instead suggesting you select old note and:
  • Click in $Text.
  • Select all (Cmd+A).
  • Copy *Cmd+C).
  • Switch to target doc/note and select the $Text pane
  • Paste and match style (Cmd+Opt+Shift+V)
This will paste only the $Text contents and without any text formatting.

Alternatively, as a way of 'cleaning the original note try this:
  • Click in $Text.
  • Select all (Cmd+A).
  • Format -> Style -> Standard Size (Cmd+Shift+T).
  • Format -> Style -> Standard Fint (Cmd+Opt+Ctrl+T)
This may reset the note to the original font/size/styling but may not reset inheritance of $TextFont etc as the latter features aren't yet fully documented (and I'll confess I've no idea how the Cocoa text styling system works - it follows no pattern I can understand)

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2015, 7:35am

Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print