Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Swift Container Navigation? (Read 2125 times)
E P James

Swift Container Navigation?
Sep 26th, 2015, 2:05pm

I have a large research document with many levels of nesting in TBx 5 - it's been building for a couple of years. I can highlight a container, press down arrow on the keyboard to open, and it opens centred on the new map. I select the next subcontainer and do the same. I can run through a dozen levels of hierarchy very quickly, as sometimes I need to do.

In TBx 6 this doesn't happen. I remember this (I think) being raised before but can't find the thread. Down arrow to open the container gives me a blank screen with the contained notes off elsewhere (down south and right  think). So I have to hunt for them before I can go to the next step. I know you can press the 3 keys and get the whole map which tells you where they are, but that's still a lot of odd friction compared to TBx 5.

I'm keeping this document as a 5 because this functionality for this project is important, but I'd also really like to have the goodies from 6 to work with on it now. So is this a known and to-be addressed issue in 6, or am I missing something/doing something wrong?

Thanks

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Swift Container Navigation?
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2015, 7:08pm

For most people and most tasks, tabs give you much faster access to the nested container you need.  As before, up-arrow and down-arrow let you navigate the hierarchy, and left/right arrow select the next and previous sibling.  Move your subcontainers so they're in view?

WWW   IP Logged
E P James

Re: Swift Container Navigation?
Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2015, 6:40am

Thanks Mark - very helpful. Moving across from single-minded use of Outliner view in TBX 6 for many months now I'd simply forgotten about opening a container in a new tab.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print