Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
From Map View to PDF (Read 1495 times)
MichaelB

From Map View to PDF
Nov 19th, 2015, 4:04pm

I want to create a bonus for my novel readers that shows all the different ways that the characters in my novel are related:

1. By family groupings.
2. By DNA
3. By where they live
4. By business association
5. By secret or crime they share

I think this will reveal to readers the complexity of the novel and mysteries they might have missed.

I have created a large map with all these relationships, but I would like to create a PDF package with each page showing one of the ways in which characters relate.

When I just try to print package as PDF everything is reduced to one page and is so small no one could ever read it.

I don't care about automation or scripting, just want some way to either force page breaks or to make everything large enough it's readable?

This is probably something obvious but I can't figure out how to do it.

Thanks

Michael

« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2015, 11:06am by MichaelB »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: From Map View to PDF
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2015, 5:27pm

Not in a position to test these just this minute but..

1. Have you tried making a large virtual page and selecting that as the 'print' size to use when printing to PDF. I wrote this tutorial for adding page custom page sizes for Tinderbox v5 but it should hold good for the current version as it relates to the Mac print process rather than the TB app. Note: depending on your printer set-up you may have a problem selecting the large

2. Screengrab from a large screen (again print that to a large virtual page.

If you think folk may actually print the PDF, you might need to scale it down. But, if your big page is, for instance, A0 or A1 it ought to scale down reasonably as the A-series pages use a consistent height/width ratio.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2015, 5:32pm

Although some users report fidelity issues with some of the finer aspects of map visual features (shadows/lines/etc), I just tried this on my (big!) Afghan-COIN map:
  • Open the map and show at actual size - even if not all on screen.
  • Edit menu -> Copy Screen as Image. This places the entire map on the clipboard.
  • Open Preview. File -> New from Clipboard.
  • Save the PDF. Preview seems savvy enough to save the diagram as one.
Even with the latter, printing out the eventual PDF to paper may be tricky but a scale to fit option should work.

If still stuck feel free to drop me an email - you should have it from previous correspondence.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
MichaelB

Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2015, 11:08am

Thanks a lot Mark. Doing as image and printing to pdf makes sense.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print