Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Blogging directly from Tinderbox (Read 3523 times)
Scott Heftler

Blogging directly from Tinderbox
Nov 20th, 2015, 7:20pm

When I first started using Tinderbox I dreamed of exporting my notes as a website or blog. Over time, I developed a TBX that did just that. I wanted to share it with other Tinderbox fans, but first I wanted to make it as intuitive as possible for new users.

I ended up creating an easy-to-use export system governed by dashboards, including a WYSIWYG Styles Dash that controls all the standard thematic elements — like navbar color; navbar button text/background color (for normal, hover, and active states); banner color; banner title string, font family, and color; banner subtitle string and color; About blurb string; post date format; and body font family and size.

Here’s what the Styles Dash looks like:

Each exported webpage comes complete with:

• collapsible navigation bar (including dropdown menus)
• banner with your website’s title and subtitle
• post title and date
• table of contents (up to any outline depth)
• body
Categories and About sidebars
• automatic list of related links
• and a customizable footer

Categories, Archives, Sitemap, and About pages are made for you automatically. Your landing page displays N truncated posts, where N is easily specified. Everything is easy to specify. For example, to make navbar buttons, you literally drag aliases of your target notes inside the BlogNavBar container note!

Your exported website is built inside the Bootstrap framework and inherits all of its conveniences, such as mobile-first responsiveness, easy column layout, creation of panels, buttons, glyphs, and more.

Everything’s ready to go right out of the box. Just hit ENTER to make a post, name it, fill it, and then export it as a page inside a full-featured website. Even if you’re not building a blog, it’s a great way to export your notes in a clear and attractive form on your desktop.

Download the entire system (TBX plus Bootstrap export folder) here:
http://mapself.com/tb/updates/BoxPress.zip

Download the entire system PLUS all the images to reproduce the documentation here:
http://mapself.com/tb/updates/BoxPress_with_images.zip

Read the online tutorial (and interact with the actual export) here:
http://mapself.com/tb/index/Posts/Computing/BoxPressTutorial.html

N.B.—The dashboards are only legible in Tinderbox 5. I’m currently revamping everything for Tinderbox 6, but until then please use TB5. Sorry for the temporary inconvenience.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Blogging directly from Tinderbox
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2015, 9:18am

Impressive!

WWW   IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2015, 1:47pm

Wow! Will check this out and put it to use.

IP Logged
Derek Van Ittersum

Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2015, 1:30pm

This is very impressive and the documentation is thorough and useful. Thanks much for sharing.

IP Logged
tadmcnulty

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2015, 2:34am

Wow.

IP Logged
Scott Heftler

Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2015, 2:19am

Thanks for the encouraging remarks and email suggestions.  I have just released a new version with lots of improvements.

Has anyone put it to use?  I will treat any and all feedback as a contribution.

One fun way to test it: import your notes from another TBX.  Just drag the topmost container note of an essay or project you’d like to compile into the Blog PAGES container.  Then set the $blogReady of that dragged note to true. Then select Export as HTML from the File menu and tell me what you think.

You can see the changelog and download the new version here:

http://mapself.com/tb/index/Pages/IntroducingBoxPress.html

If anyone has any suggestions for the TBX or the documentation (which is a tad extensive) please let me know!

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #6 - Dec 4th, 2015, 3:20am

@Scott, been to busy to try this but I intend to. I just wanted to say - you can't have too much documentation!  Smiley

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Scott Heftler

Reply #7 - Dec 30th, 2015, 8:13pm

Greetings!  BoxPress 1.4 is now ready for download.

Some of the improvements:
  • Styles Dash: added static/fixed toggle to the Navbar Widget.
  • Styles Dash: added bold and text shadow controls to the Banner Widget.
  • Styles Dash: added border control to the Sidebar Widget.
  • Styles Dash: the PostTitle Widget now governs text color for all headings h1–h6.
  • Styles Dash: added background color control to Body Widget.
  • New $blogBkgOpt attribute lets you combine options for background image, texture, color, and fixity.
  • New "floating card” background option has been added for truncated and full-page posts. Color, border, and shadow controls have been added to the PostBody Widget.
  • New texture bequeathing export option allows categories to bequeath textures to their posts.
  • Default images and textures for banner, background, and footer now managed from Finder in Theme Folders.
  • Category notes now optionally bequeath their background texture to their child posts.
  • Easily override default and category-bequeathed background images with $blogBkgImage=filename.

For the complete changelog see http://mapself.com/tb/index/Pages/IntroducingBoxPress.html.

Happy New Year!  Cheesy

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #8 - Dec 31st, 2015, 12:19pm

Yay!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1