Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Getting Started With Storyspace (Read 3991 times)
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Getting Started With Storyspace
Dec 03rd, 2015, 10:14am

New Storyspace users (and the great number of old Storyspace users now returning after a long absence!) will find both Storyspace Help and Getting Started With Hypertext Narrative waiting under the Help menu to assist them.

We'd love to hear whatís too detailed, whatís not detailed enough, and of course about anything thatís simply mistaken!

WWW   IP Logged
Stephen Hay

Wellington NZ
Re: Getting Started With Storyspace
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2016, 2:23pm

No comments as yet but I would like to say that I've just finished Moretti's book and am working my way through "Hypertext". These two, in conjunction with "The Tinderbox Way" have given me the clearest picture yet of the concepts behind Tbx.

That's quite a piece of work you've done there. Chapeau!

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2016, 12:15pm

By "Morettiís Book", do you mean his Graphs, Maps, Trees?  Thatís highly recommended, as (of course) is Landowís Hypertext 3.0.

It might be fun to do some fresh studies a la Moretti using Tinderbox -- for example, using image adornments in map view to chart out (say) the locales in turn-of-the-century New York and Chicago in which the characters in Dreiser, Upton Sinclair, and crew work and play.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2016, 12:47pm

Plus, Storyspace's underpinnings in common with Tinderbox mean that location data could exported and also shown in other mapping forms, e.g. journeys charted in odyssey.js

« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2016, 12:49pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Stephen Hay

Wellington NZ
Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2016, 4:17pm

Mark B, yes, Graphs, Maps and Trees is the one and Landow's Hypertext, first edition.

My use of these techniques is to combine them with Social Network Analysis (the math behind the likes of Facebook and Linkedin) to better understand organisations so a reappraisal of literature will need to wait...  Wink

Mark A, that looks like a very interesting tool for a travel blog.

Thanks to you both,
Stephen

IP Logged
Damian Stoupe

Reply #5 - Jan 10th, 2016, 2:42pm

I am a definite newbie in this field and feel like a bit of a fish out of water, however, looking at the potential uses of both Tinderbox and Story space has encouraged me to take the plunge. † What I like about both Tinderbox and Storyspace is the potential for enhancing my ability to allow the work to emerge, both in data analysis and writing, by helping me to see the interdependencies and interrelationships that are often hidden in a linear process. †

Currently I am a PhD candidate using grounded theory to explore workplace behaviour through a systems thinking lens particularly Luhmannís social systems theory. †Luhmann is often thought to be difficult to read because of his writing style which may well have benefited from an awareness of, or more specifically the use of, hypertext.

If I can get my head around the processes I may just have to try and persuade my supervisor to allow me to submit the PhD in hypertext †Wink

I would be interested in knowing how people are using it in research fields - especially grounded theory.

« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2016, 2:43pm by Damian Stoupe »  
  IP Logged
Duane Poncy

Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2016, 3:26pm

Hello, I'm a noob at Storyspace, which I want to use for two projects I'm working on. I am interested in testing out the ways my projects can be viewed by readers before I invest a lot of time in the writing.

The problem I am having is when I export a few samples to html, I get text which says "no template can be found."  

I am also unable to find the "Reader" which is supposed to be included. When I search my user/Library/Application Support/Storyspace I find a bunch of empty folders. There seems to nothing in the help documents to guide me here. I would appreciate any help you could give me.

I'm using Mac OSX Yosimite.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #7 - Jun 22nd, 2016, 4:16pm

The hypertext formalisms of Storyspace don't necessarily support (e.g. guard terms). You might to better to drop an email to support as I believe a reader/player version of Storyspace is in the works. The reader player is akin to using Storyspace in 'read' more and without access to all the many edit related.

For this reason, Storyspace has no built-in HTML templates. It is assumed the user wanting such an output will write their own export templates and add them to the document. You could export the hypertext as HTML and implement the Storyspace logic in custom Javascript but I doubt that's what you're after.

Edited:
corrected terminology. Later post by MB shows the term 'reader' is to be used for app used for reading/viewing hypertexts authored in the main Storyspace app.

« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2016, 12:32pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #8 - Jun 23rd, 2016, 12:08pm

HTML export isn't currently intended to be available in Storyspace, though it might be useful to people who use Storyspace and Tinderbox together.

We'll have a read-only, stand-alone Storyspace Reader that you can freely redistribute for you this summer.  We also plan to have a Storyspace Reader for iOS, and probably another that runs in web browsers.

WWW   IP Logged
Duane Poncy

Reply #9 - Jun 23rd, 2016, 12:20pm

Thank you, Mark and Mark. As long as there will be something available soon, then it will be worth my time to begin work on my projects. As I am not really much of a coder, I am happy to learn that I won't have to be hand coding html.

I would like to point out that there is misinformation out there that Storyspace exports html out of the box. I think it would be helpful to others like me if this was clarified.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #10 - Jun 23rd, 2016, 1:55pm

With twenty years of history, new versions, and new technologies, it's often difficult to make sure that every reference to Storyspace accords with the latest release. We'll keep an eye out.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print