Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Please explain using Tags in Tinderbox (Read 2189 times)
Ralph Alvy

Santa Monica
Please explain using Tags in Tinderbox
Dec 03rd, 2015, 11:06am

I see mention of using Tags in TB, but don't quite see how to use them or what they are. I use user-created Attributes currently. Are Tags different than Attributes?

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Please explain using Tags in Tinderbox
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2015, 12:19pm

What people call tags in places like  Flickr or Instagram , Tinderbox calls a “set attribute”.  In fact, Tinderbox now has a built-in attribute named $Tags that you can use.

If you'd like to add tags to a note, just make $Tags a key attribute and enter the tags -- separated by semicolons

Note: make a pumpkin pie
     Tags:  important;fun;nutritious;Naomi

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2015, 12:43pm

$Tags are just a Set-type attribute. 'Tags' seems to be used in a slightly different sense by most people/apps and is a common synonym for keywords. If you're used to taking things like photos for search retrieval, then you're Tagging.

TB v6 provided a predefined attribute for folk to 'tag' their notes, especially those folk who don't like to lift the hood and do things like make new user attributes.

Since v6.4.0, and for those who also use DEVONThink v2.8.8+ and who like to cross-link data in the two apps, $Tags has an added significance - see here.  If you don't use that combo, ignore this parpagraph.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Ralph Alvy

Santa Monica
Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2015, 1:23pm

Ok, I made Tags (found in Attributes|References) a Key Attribute on a Note to see how it works. Then I removed that to see it disappear. Good.

Then I made Tags a Key Attribute for the Prototype governing such Notes, and that worked fine ... except for that single Note I played with above. So I went into Info for that Note, found Attributes|References|Tags and Right Clicked on Tags and clicked in Use Inherited Value. That didn't change the selected Note. I still had to manually change this in the Inspector.

« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2015, 1:24pm by Ralph Alvy »  
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2015, 1:57pm

Because you'd set a specific value for KeyAttributes for your note, that value overrides inheritance from the prototype!

You can remove the value of $KeyAttributes for this note in Quickstamp, or simply edit it to coincide with the inherited value.

WWW   IP Logged
Ralph Alvy

Santa Monica
Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2015, 2:50pm

Got it.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #6 - Dec 3rd, 2015, 4:24pm

You may find some of these tutorials useful. This, this and this relate to prototypes and inheritance.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Ralph Alvy

Santa Monica
Reply #7 - Dec 3rd, 2015, 4:30pm

I was using the Info window, but was selecting the wrong Attribute. I was selecting the Tags attribute instead of the KeyAttribute attribute.

IP Logged
Sandy Santra

Reply #8 - Feb 7th, 2016, 11:06am

Still struggling with this.  I think I understand about half of it.  I hope someone is still watching this thread and can help me.  If I am sure Tinderbox can do this tags thing and incorporate it into search, then I will probably (finally) buy Tinderbox this week.

I want to use "tags" aka "keywords" aka "keys" in Tinderbox like I would use that type of object attribute in iPhoto aka Apple Pictures or DevonThink.  For this post, I'll call them "tags".

So say I have a Tinderbox map of 1000s of objects (Notes).  I want to be able to tag some of them with identifiable characteristics.  I want to tag the books as "book", large items as "large", and red items as "red".  Some books, therefore, would have all three tags.  After I'm done with all the tagging, can I use Tinderbox somehow (the search feature, and/or a filter feature) to filter for just the red objects, or the red, large, books?  (Does this ability currently exist in Tinderbox.)  And how would I do that?

So far, I've learned that I can select a Note, click the "+" button to Add Key Attributes, add Tags as a Key Attribute for the Note, then set the Note's Tags to be "book;red;large".  Now, how do I search/filter to reduce the map from 1000s of Notes to just the red books?  To (all) the books?  To the books that are red and large?

Thanks in advance.  I'm really hoping I can get this to work.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #9 - Feb 7th, 2016, 11:57am

Quote:
Now, how do I search/filter to reduce the map from 1000s of Notes to just the red books?  To (all) the books?  To the books that are red and large?

You don’t “reduce the map” at all. Instead, you make an agent that will continuously look for books.  The agent has a query

$Tags.contains("book")

This will find War And Peace (which has $Tags "big;black;book") and Mao Zedong’s Sayings ($Tags "little;red;book")  but not my Honda Fit ($Tags "little;red;car").

If you want another agent to find only red books

$Tags.contains("book")&$Tags.contains("red")

The Help menu discussions of Getting Started With Tinderbox and of Actions and Dashboards might be useful.

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Santra

Reply #10 - Feb 7th, 2016, 2:57pm

"You don’t “reduce the map” at all"

OK, I get it, creating an Agent for the purpose of "filtering" creates a brand new object on the map (also shows up in outline), and inside that object appear whatever Notes satisfy the query you set up when you created the Agent.  Cool.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print