Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Taking reading notes with Tinderbox (Read 4261 times)
Dominique Renauld

Taking reading notes with Tinderbox
Dec 14th, 2015, 1:34pm

Good evening!
Iíve been taking reading notes with Tinderbox for several years now. At the beginning of my learning, I didn't know exactly what kind of reading note cards I needed. In the end, I built a file from the Built-in prototype named ę†Reference†Ľ and began to add some specific attributes suited for my needs. In the following link, youíll find an example file you can use and test according to your needs: http://www.eastgate.com/download/FichesDeLectures.dmg That file contains several notes and specific attributes in the research field of sciences of education. I use it for writing my doctoral thesis.

Twitter : @dominiq_renauld
WWW   IP Logged
Pete Becker

Re: Taking reading notes with Tinderbox
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2015, 9:40am

I tried to look at this file. Before I opened it, it required me to agree to a software license absolving Eastgate of any liability. After I did that, the file was locked and read-only, so I couldn't browse through it without saving a separate copy. Even closing it required me to go through a couple of popups announcing that the changes that I (hadn't) made would not be saved. Sorry, but I just don't want to put that much effort into it.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2015, 10:57am

Move the file to your hard drive before opening it. Depending on how the creator configures the disk image (DMG) a file opened on it wil not be able to write changes. v6 uses newer Apple frameworks and makny state changes (selected item, tab, etc.) are saved as changes regardless of an delibarate content edits by the user.

I've no idea why the DMG includes the Eastgate message as I don't believe there is any stricture on users sharing their own TBX files. I'm happy to help re-package this in a plain DMG file, but only with the originator's permission.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2015, 11:34am

Thanks to Dominique Renauld for his ongoing posts and videos about la vie Tinderboxique. They've been very useful, including this latest file. I mean it as a relief and compliment rather than anything else when I say: I was glad to see that its structure is very much like what I have evolved on my own.

When I started using TB six or seven years ago, I wasn't sure how it could match my then-workhorse, the Windows program Zoot. Now it's hard for me to think of how anything else could match the flexibility and power of TB.

Thanks to Mark A for clarification on how to download and use this.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Dec 15th, 2015, 12:30pm

Sorry about the license agreement on the .dmg -- it was a spurious setting in the compression software. We'll fix that.

WWW   IP Logged
Simon Smailus

Tipton, UK
Reply #5 - Dec 20th, 2015, 10:42am

The link above results in an error.

I would be interested for any help on making notes in TB from several books I am reading on a topic.

Not sure how to set this up. I'd like to be able to reference the books (I have dragged them via Bookends).

I tend to follow the ZettelKasten idea of re-writing an idea in my own thoughts and not just pulling in quotes.

Anybody have a template of how they do it or any advice?

Simon Smailus
WWW   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #6 - Dec 21st, 2015, 2:25pm

a) Link is fixed now! http://www.eastgate.com/download/FichesDeLectures.dmg

In general, I prefer to link notes on a book to the source, or (often easier) link from the source to notes on the book.

1) Sit down, get comfortable. Close the door. Tell everyone you donít want to watch television, youíre going to read _____.

2) Select the notes that represents the book; drag a link into the main parking space.

3) Switch to a tab for the container where you keep notes

4) Make a note. Drag a link from the parking space

5) Repeat.

''Alternatively,'' make a $Source attribute -- a string, and simply type the source information into each note.  This works nicely when you're going to be taking lots of notes from the same source over an extended period -- you can simply write PL 2.32 or Hamlet I.iv.10  easily enough, and that can be easier than linking.

If you switch sources a lot -- if you're reading with six or seven open books on your desk -- itís useful to keep one tab with a list of these sources and another with your notes.  That way, you can quickly switch from the source list to your notes, which makes linking easier.

WWW   IP Logged
Dominique Renauld

Reply #7 - Dec 21st, 2015, 3:02pm

Hamlet, I.iv.10 (taken from an old translation, bought when I was a young student and didn't know yet Tinderbox) :
"And as he dreines his draughts of Renish downe,
The kettle Drum and Trumpet thus bray out
The triumph of his Pledge."
Words of circumstances... wish you all the best for the year to come...
I'm about to record some new short screencasts about how I use to take notes.

WWW   IP Logged
Simon Smailus

Tipton, UK
Reply #8 - Dec 21st, 2015, 3:05pm

Many thanks guys,

This is helpful.

What I'm also after is to understand how you set up you TBX.

1. What attributes do you use and why?
2. What containers do you use and why?
3. Which views do you use the most?
4. How do you use your views?
5. Do you interact with any other software in the process?

Many thanks!

Simon Smailus
WWW   IP Logged
Dominique Renauld

Reply #9 - Dec 22nd, 2015, 8:37am

I've just posted a new short video about note-taking with Tinderbox. Hope you'll find some answers to your last questions : https://vimeo.com/149752468

WWW   IP Logged
Simon Smailus

Tipton, UK
Reply #10 - Dec 22nd, 2015, 8:56am

Thanks Dominique!

Very useful short video.

Simon Smailus
WWW   IP Logged
Simon Smailus

Tipton, UK
Reply #11 - Dec 22nd, 2015, 9:11am

Quick question:

I can drag a book into TB from Bookends and an automatic "Reference" prototype is created all filled in with the correct bibliographic information. I will be making notes on several book on the same topic, so each book will be dragged in via Bookends.

I don't want the notes for each book in a container for each book as some notes will relate to each other. Creating a prototype for each book will also not be useful as some notes will comment on more than one book. i was thinking of the following:

1. Create a prototype for quotes. These can then be linked to notes derived from the quote allowing multiple quotes to be linked to one note and one note to multiple quotes.
2. Create a prototype for notes

How does that sound?

Simon Smailus
WWW   IP Logged
Dominique Renauld

Reply #12 - Dec 22nd, 2015, 9:27am

I was trying to test myself the solution you've just suggested with a Tinderbox file. In this configuration, you'll probably have to rewrite every book references for every note you'll have created. For instance, if you create a note called "Deconstruction" in reference to Jacques Derrida's works, you would have to enter some basic metadata such as : an author's name, a book title, perhaps a date, and so on. Then, if you create another note in relation to that topic (Deconstruction) and with the same references, you would have once again to write the same references. In my experience, the links are very useful when it's about to visualize some similar notes in map view : indeed, in this way, you can easily "brainstorm" your reading notes and organize them as you would do if you have to draw and write a geographic map.

« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2015, 9:29am by Dominique Renauld »  

WWW   IP Logged
Simon Smailus

Tipton, UK
Reply #13 - Dec 22nd, 2015, 9:33am

I realised that. I actually found that when you drag in a book reference from bookends it creates a prototype called "Reference", but it also creates a prototype of the actual book. This means that it is then easy to create a note, paste your quote and give it the books prototype, which will in turn give the note the books bibliographic data.

That essentially solves the problem. It allows quotes and notes to be easily separated.

Simon Smailus
WWW   IP Logged
Derek Van Ittersum

Reply #14 - Dec 23rd, 2015, 1:36pm

Mark B's comment above about using links to connect "reference" notes and quote notes has been a successful approach to me. This makes it easy to connect a single "quote" note to several "reference" notes via links, and even to other "quote" notes. Using various "link types" can help too: reference, connection, extension, disagreement, etc.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print