Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
starting out questions (Read 1409 times)
Erwin

Antwerp, Belgium
starting out questions
Dec 28th, 2015, 7:50am

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at starting out with Tinderbox. Have already previously found some amazing maps that drew my attention, but I read that TB is mainly focused at 'writing'. I'm not a writer, but intend to use TB for information gathering, brainstorming, mind mapping and structuring a variety of information.

Primary goal will be mind mapping. I'm using the excellent Freeplane (Freemind derivative) now, but am in need for 'more'.

Important for me is openness to other systems, thinking of a workflow that involves OS X apps like Tinderbox, Devonthink, Evernote to name a couple. I'd like input capability to extend to Android. Thinking of a  'watched folder' of some kind, to interact with txt based notes or markdown capable apps.

A couple of questions:
- How do I link a note to an image (jpeg or PNG...)?
- Can I do any folding / unfolding then to view / hide a linked image?
- Is there any pointer to interaction with aforementioned Android apps that are txt based or markdown capable?
- Any interaction with Evernote or apps genre Todoist or Trello?

Thanks a lot for your attention and help!

Best wishes for the new year!

Erwin

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: starting out questions
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2015, 10:09am

• You can paste an image into the text pane.
• You can drag an image into a map to make an image adornment, a decoration or backdrop.  This can, for example, be useful for character references for a novelist, or perhaps thumbnail photos for a courthouse beat reporter.
• You can link image files stored outside Tinderbox by dropping them on a note’s File attribute. Make File a key attribute (use the "+" button to add it to the key attributes table), and drop the file on the "folder" icon; you can then use the icon to open the file in its preferred application, such as Preview.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2015, 10:11am

For folding and unfolding, see Outline view. In general, Tinderbox doesn't do folding elsewhere; the various views will likely provide what you need.

There isn't (currently) a way to sync to a watched folder. But you can import text files (and RTF, word, etc), and good old copy/paste is great as well.

WWW   IP Logged
Francis Harvey

Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2016, 11:07am

Piggy-backing on Erwin's questions and the prompt responses, my newbie questions about Tinderbox revolve around dynamic interactions. Let me try to expand on that:
1) Can I link duplicate notes in multiple projects so that changes to one note automatically propagate to other notes?
2) Can I link to a nonSQL database to record values and update changes in a TBX project?
3) Can I access TBX projects using an API like interface?

What I'm interested in doing is creating means to dynamically connect multiple note taking and writing projects to each other and to visualization software (Processing and D3) as well as other applications (DTPro Office, Evernote, spreadsheets) on multiple computers for various information processing tasks.

Thanks in advance,
Francis

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: AutoFetch
Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2016, 11:30am

Quote:
1) Can I link duplicate notes in multiple projects so that changes to one note automatically propagate to other notes?

Not trivially; typically, Tinderbox documents don’t change other documents.

However, a Tinderbox note can automatically fetch its text from a Web server (including, if you want, the server on your Macintosh). You do this by setting the $URL of a note to the appropriate URL and setting $AutoFetch of the note to true.  This is handy, for example, if you're giving a Tinderbox assignment to a bunch of students and you'd like some parts of these documents (e.g. the due date and lecture schedule) to be automatically updated.

Another practical use is at the Tinderbox site, where http://www.eastgate.com/Tinderbox/config/version always holds the current Tinderbox release version number.  That lets different parts of the Web site (and Tinderbox itself) know about new releases.

Simplenote sync is another alternative, of course.

« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2016, 11:32am by Mark Bernstein »  
WWW   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #5 - Jan 4th, 2016, 11:31am

Tinderbox offers some beginnings of the access tools you need for use with automation tools either through UI AppleScript or through the tinderbox:// URL scheme. More of this is coming, but it's not particularly easy right now.

WWW   IP Logged
Francis Harvey

Reply #6 - Jan 4th, 2016, 2:01pm

Thanks. This gives me some ideas how to set up the connections, but it sounds rather fragile and something that is still going to develop. Let me focus on this question: how is the integration with Evernote, which seems quite similar functional to Simplenote?

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #7 - Jan 4th, 2016, 2:19pm

Evernote’s API is rather different, as is it’s business model. We’ll be looking at Evernote import or syncing, as well as a cleaner approach to syncing a container with a directory of files via (for example) Dropbox.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print