Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Position of link type names in map view (Read 792 times)
Will Duquette

Position of link type names in map view
Jan 12th, 2016, 6:43pm

What controls how link type names are positioned in the Map view?  They are drawn in the vicinity of the link line, but often not where I'd expect. In one case, the label is drawn mostly under the note to which the link connects. Is there any way to fix this?

« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2016, 7:00pm by Will Duquette »  
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Position of link type names in map view
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2016, 7:20pm

Link labels are positioned automatically; there's currently no way to change the label position other than to move the source or destination. Optimal label placement is computationally intractable, but I agree Tinderbox sometimes chooses poorly.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2016, 3:41am

Solving perhaps a different aspect of Will's question, you can toggle the links labels on/off.  This is a per-link-type setting and is controlled via the  Links tab of the Document Inspector.

Of course, turning off labels doesn't help if you need to be able to read them. But, if you're just trying to visually tidy a map to show to someone, it can help.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Will Duquette

Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2016, 11:06am

It'd sure be nice to be able to drag them manually.

I don't usually use link labels (because newbie, and I'm keeping it simple for now); and anyway it's clear that if you really use link types to convey semantic connections between lots of things there's going to be no way to render all of the links attractively.  But in simple cases it would be nice to be able to control the appearance a little more.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print