Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can I have multiple different Maps in one file? (Read 526 times)
Mark Green

Can I have multiple different Maps in one file?
Jan 19th, 2016, 6:15am

For example, Maps with different sets of Adornments to sort notes in different ways?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Can I have multiple different Maps in one file?
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2016, 8:30am

Yes and no. A note exists in one container and thus in one map. However, you can make aliases of said notes and place the notes in a separate container and thus on a discrete maps. In that manner each map can show the same notes and yet have different adornments.

If using this approach, you should ensure you understand the concept of intrinsic attributes - i.e. those aliases do/don't share with their originals. Also be aware that originals and aliases share basic (i.e. note-to-note) links if if the alias has no basic links of it's own. IOW, if you drag a link between two aliases on a separate map, the original note will show no record of those links. That might seem odd but aliases have to serve a number of contrasting user tasks so the result is nuanced and not ideal for every scenario. If you get stuck on any of these issues  I suggest asking in a separate thread.

Another mean of making a 'new' map, is to create an agent that is set to find only those items in the original map (via the inside() query). Adornments never match agent queries, plus all the aliases are made for you. However, you need to turn off the agent's $CleanupAction or the agent will re-draw the map each time it updates, moving the aliases. You can also consider turning off the agent as well, once all the necessary aliases have been created. When 'off' the agent neither adds to nor removes existing aliases. The same provisos still apply about intrinsic values and linkages as described above.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print