Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Linking to Alias's Original note (Read 915 times)
BCrane

Linking to Alias's Original note
Jan 19th, 2016, 10:49am

When I drag a link-line from the link widget to an alias, the link that is created is to that alias. Is there a way to link instead to the alias's original note?

Context: I have a set of aliases on an outline only temporarily. While I have them there and before deleting them, I'd like to link to a couple of their originals from an index note I'm keeping. It'd be easier to do it through the aliases if possible.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Linking to Alias's Original note
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2016, 11:18am

In short, no. Aliases assume their original's (outbound) basic links at export but otherwise retain their own basic links. Text links are always shared (as the source end anyway).

There is no 'link to original' modifier, so no manual UI method. You can link alias-to-alias so I guess the problem potentially applies both ends. A problem in a map context is if the dragged link were to only link originals at each end, the resulting link wouldn't appear on the current map.

Assuming the aliases aren't in the same container/map as the originals, you could use their $Path and $IsAlias data. Using that with linkTo() to make the new links involving the originals and then either delete the aliases or use unlinkTo().

« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2016, 11:18am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
BCrane

Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2016, 12:07pm

Thanks Mark.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2016, 10:58am

Just drag the link to the parking space. Then select the alias, choose Show Original from the Edit menu, and complete the link.

WWW   IP Logged
BCrane

Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2016, 11:18am

Thanks. This can work in a lot of cases.

I've also been experimenting with copy-pasting the alias title to my index and then using using cmd+ctl+L to make the link. As long as the original note is higher on the outline than the alias it seems to work. But there's room for error there...

« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2016, 11:19am by BCrane »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print