Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Development Status of Windows Version (Read 1757 times)
Robert DePriest

Development Status of Windows Version
Jan 20th, 2016, 2:01pm

Hi, I notice most of the discussion about a Windows version is a few years old now.  Does anyone know of the current status?

Thanks,

Robert

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Development Status of Windows Version
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2016, 11:07am

We've had to prioritize OS X during the move to Tinderbox Six, and also during the travails of the Windows ecosystem.  There’s also the work on iPad prototypes to consider.

We continue to hope to obtain resources for Tinderbox for Windows, but it's a (very) big project for the long term.

WWW   IP Logged
Robert DePriest

Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2016, 11:22am

Mark,

I understand - thank you for your quick reply!

Robert

IP Logged
andrewkbt

Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2016, 4:58pm

Hi Mark,

I'm guessing this is something you've already considered and perhaps even tried, but in case not, I think it'd be worthwhile to look into a Kickstarter or another crowdfunding option to help facilitate Windows development.

Because it seems like a chicken and the egg problem: There are a lot of Windows users, like me, who are very intrigued by Tinderbox, and would try it in a heartbeat if it were on Windows.  And, I know a lot of users who decided *not* to try Tinderbox because they need / want a cross-platform option, like OneNote.  So I think it could greatly increase not just your user base, but also the people willing to even *try* Tinderbox.  But of course, I know that your team is already working at full capacity.

The reason I believe crowdfunding is a good option is because it seems like Tinderbox is a tool that can be very complex and challenging to grasp at first, yet once it's grasped, people tend to love.  

So, crowdfunding provides an excellent opportunity for the people who "get" Tinderbox to contribute to making it the type of cross-platform product that will appeal to a broader population (and also, of course, make it more functional for themselves, since they can use it on multiple operating systems).

Personally, I would definitely contribute to a Tinderbox crowdfunding campaign that allowed me to prepay a certain amount for a Windows version of Tinderbox that would be delivered in a reasonable time-frame.  I'm tied to Windows due to various other tools and constraints, but even if I did switch to Mac, I'd prefer a personal knowledge base tool that is more ubiquitously accessible.

At very least it might be worth polling on places like this forum, Outlinersoftware.com, etc., to gauge interest?

Thanks very much for your time!

« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2016, 5:02pm by andrewkbt »  
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2016, 11:14am

Thanks!  It's an interesting idea.

WWW   IP Logged