Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Link Styles (Read 1606 times)
Will Duquette

Link Styles
Jan 28th, 2016, 11:23am

The Browse Links dialog lets you change how a link is drawn: arrow vs. circle, line style, and colors.  It would be pleasant if these controls could also be in the Create Link popover, so that you could set them alongside the link type.  As it is, you have to create the link, then click on the source note, then browse links (or click on the "i" icon on the link) to get at these controls.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Link Styles
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2016, 11:43am

The controls are, I assume, in the Inspector because they apply per link type and not per individual link. Wouldn't adding full link-type visual controls to the pre-link creation tool/dialog add make for lots of contextual clutter and slow down fast linking during note-taking, e.g. during lectures?

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Will Duquette

Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2016, 5:02pm

I wasn't aware that you could set the visuals by link type as well as on the individual link.  That scratches pretty much all of my itch.

However, with regard to clutter and quick linking during lectures--much of the content of the Create Link popover seems to apply mostly to HTML generation.  How much of that do people fill in while taking lecture notes?  (Serious question; I've never used those fields at all, but I'm a newbie.)

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2016, 5:43pm

Part of this is Tinderbox's longevity (c.14 years.). The create likn pop-over, descends from this dialog and its contents reflect the fact that an early use of the app was for blogging (before database-backed blogs took off). Indeed, the app author's own blog is still written in Tinderbox, as is aTbRef. That's not to suggest export is the pre-emintent use of the app. Reflecting the open-ended nature of the app, it's misleading onself to assume people use the app in any one predominant way - or so I've learned from years of supporting folk here. In fact there are lots of disparate styles of use that are often in gentle conflict over the use of various parts of the UI. s/o just becasue some of use don't use certain controls on the UI, it's unsafe to assume they are of no use to others. Deleting things for that rationale is a good way of flusghing out users who've just had their workflow trashed for no good reason!

I mis-spoke on one aspect of link style modification. New to v6, there is some per-link customisation possible. This is accessed only via the Browse Links dialog - the link explains succh info as I know about that.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Will Duquette

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2016, 2:10pm

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting that the HTML-related fields be removed; just that adding the style controls that already exist in Browse Links wouldn't necessarily making the popup that much bigger.

However, setting link styles by link type makes a lot more sense to me (at least as I would use link styles) than setting them on individual links, which is what I had been doing.  So I'm happy now. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print