Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Strategies on when to create a new document (Read 568 times)
MattW

Strategies on when to create a new document
Feb 24th, 2016, 9:29am

So I am curious when folks think it is appropriate to start a new document.

Back when I was a PM in Sharepoint at MSFT, we used to go with the idea of not creating a new hierarchy until there was enough content to justify. Having ten lists with 1 item each was useless, but one list with ten somewhat disjointed things worked better. With TB it seems that threshold is higher but do folks tend to start with one doc and do everything there, or do you tend to create a different doc for everything you think is different right now? Reading some of the TBWay I see that it's best just to get things down and not worry too much about structure.

Working for a software startup in Boston, I am reading relevant articles about my industry (DevOps/IT), then reading unrelated things about travel or civil rights or basket weaving (ok, I'm not actually reading about that). Part of the value of me is interconnecting unrelated things to get the point across, so I can see the value of keeping it together, but I can also understand why to keep it separate. The last talk I did involved describing CAMS (a DevOps focused acronym) in the context of the Mars Climate Orbiter that crashed into the planet due to a disconnect in teams around metric vs. imperial.

Am I thinking too much?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Strategies on when to create a new document
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2016, 3:47pm

I'd start out in one doc and see where you go. If things don't live together well - even at low numbers of notes - the truth will out. Where new docs (or deliberate disposable copies of existing docs) help a lot is with exploration of TB's features.

If you need to split a doc, you can copy paste groups of notes (205? more? at once) between docs. Or clone the doc, and strip the unwanted data from each - perhaps still leaving a common core of prototypes, etc.

« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2016, 3:47pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print