Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Making new prototypes (Read 556 times)
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Making new prototypes
Feb 24th, 2016, 1:28pm

Topic split from here.

Quote:
I'm a bit confused by some of the settings.  For instance, when I'm in the Properties Inspector pane, the prototype check box is checked, but the drop down bar reads "none" even though I'm working on a particular prototype.  Is that right?  I ask because I feel that when I make changes to a prototype, they're not always saved.  How can I ensure that changes to prototypes are properly saved?

The Prototype check box sets the attribute $IsPrototype. This controls whether the currently selected note is, or is not a prototype. If ticked in the Inspector, the current note is a prototype.

The Prototype pop-up, allows you to select a prototype ($Prototype) to be used by the current note.

Sidenote: a prototype note can itself use a prototype but this is something a user starting out will rarely need.  If the tick box (above( is ticked, the pop-up should be set to show none (at least, until you definitely know different).

Going back to your notion of a Person prototype. When the prototype note is selected, the Inspector's tick-box will be ticked and the pop-up will show none. For a note using the Person prototype, the tick-box will be un-ticked and the pop-up will show Person.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Making new prototypes
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2016, 11:15am

A prototype may itself have a prototype.

So, let's make a note named Car.  We'll make it a prototype by checking “prototype” in the inspector.  Car can now serve as a prototype, and will be listed in prototype menus.

Car has no prototype, so its prototype is "none", but it is itself a prototype.

Now, let's make another note, Toyota.  We'll assign it the prototype Car; now Toyota inherits properties from Car.

Toyota has a prototype, Car.  But at this point it's not itself a prototype, so Prototype is not checked.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print