Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Creating My Own Color Scheme (Read 973 times)
Richard Pfeiffer

Creating My Own Color Scheme
Feb 29th, 2016, 9:34pm

I would like to have a custom set of colors that excludes the 0 - 9 grayscale colors and any other predefined colors (although I would still like to be able to specify "transparent").

In other words, I want to see only the colors I think I will use, so that I don't have to scroll through a long list of ones that I won't.

I have created a color scheme file and dropped it on a Tinderbox file, but I still see other colors in the Color drop-down menu.

I have also tried saving the color scheme file with the name "colors.xml" and placing it in the Application Support folder for Tinderbox, but I still see the other colors in the list.

Am I using the wrong format for the "colors.xml" file? Or is there some other way to remove the extra colors from the Color menu? (I am using Tinderbox 6.4.0.)

Thanks,
Richard

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Creating My Own Color Scheme
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2016, 4:27am

I don't believe you can 'delete' any of the build-in colours. you can alter the colour used for a built-in colour by using a custom scheme and applying that. Thus 'red' might be a bright red in one scheme, dark red in another and grey in yet another. However, in all those cases the scheme would also have to be set via doc settings and the 0-9 numbers would still be listed.

I've tested this extensively and passed info onto Easgtate via other channels but there little point in listing here what I tried and which failed. I'd suggest you email support explaining your need for a new feature.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Richard Pfeiffer

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2016, 12:15pm

Thanks, Mark. I will contact support.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2016, 3:45pm

The catch here is, what if you delete the color that's used by an agent copied from another document, or by a built-in attribute?

Iím not sure there's a TON to be gained by deleting built-in colors.  Do you find the menus awkwardly long?  Is there a different reason?

WWW   IP Logged
Richard Pfeiffer

Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2016, 2:06pm

Yes, it's distracting having to wade through colors I'm not using.

But thinking about this more, I am realizing that this issue came up in the first place because I am really bad at creating a handful of colors that work well together in a map and I need all the help I can get at feeling at home with that process.

At some point, I decided to use the Apple crayon box color picker to come up with a good combination of colors. Having access to this palette made it much easier to develop a set of colors that worked well together. I felt a lot more at ease creating my own maps (which I have hesitated to do over the years, partly because of my ineptitude with color choices).

So the first request, which I had forgotten when I first posted, would be to see if there was some way people could use the Apple color picker--but especially the crayons, which are well chosen and well named for my purposes--to set up their colors and have them stick. In other words, if I create a note that uses Asparagus, it would be nice for Tinderbox to recognize that it should start keeping track of this color, including by adding it to the menu.

The second request, so to speak, has already been fulfilled--that is, when I use the capitalized color names as I add colors (such as "Asparagus"), they are sorted ahead of all but the numbered colors, so the menu length and "distraction factor" isn't all that bad.

But if I could use the standard Apple crayon colors and have color menus that only contained those colors, I would feel a lot more at home--or more comfortable, anyway--when making my color choices. In a small way, it would improve the usability of the product.

For those of us who are artistically challenged in this way, that could make a big difference.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print