Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tinderbox and mobile platforms (iPad Pro) (Read 6821 times)
Frank

Tinderbox and mobile platforms (iPad Pro)
Mar 12th, 2016, 3:26am

Hello,

I have enjoyed using Tinderbox on my laptop for things like mapping out customer relationships which contains both structured and non structured information, for which Tinderbox is well suited.

Recently I have abandoned my notebook and moved to an iMac on the desk and an iPad pro as my mobile platform. Not having a Tinderbox platform for the iPad is making me consider to move to a combination of DevonThink and Apple Notes / Omni Outliner.

Other option is to find a way to at least export the Tinderbox data to be available when travelling on the iPad, while maintaining the data set on the iMac.

So my question is twofold.

1. are there any plans to support high end tablets like the iPad Pro directly (great for brainstorming by the way)?

2. what is the best practise to export tinderbox to use the data on an iPad?

Thanks,

Frank

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Tinderbox and mobile platforms (iPad Pro)
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2016, 11:16am

Eastgate are best places to answer #1. For #2 the answer is "it depends on what you're trying to do". People use Tinderbox in very different ways. If you just want you export your notes to HTML, download the TBX used to create aTbRef as its export demonstrates a number of  things you might try. As the pages are HTML, there's nothing to stop you adding things like a form on each page to send notes (from the iPad) re that note that you can add to the TBX when back on your iPad. Or, instead of a form a low-tech route it to send an email (that is seeded with the originating pages $Name or some unique ID).

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Frank

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2016, 12:17pm

Thanks Mark, I will have a look at the TbRef source file for ideas on HTML export. Most important to me is to take my notes with me on the iPad with pretty formatting.

I could write my notes on mobile in apple Notes and manually add them into my knowledge base TBX file when I am back home.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2016, 12:49pm

We’ve already done a good deal of work toward Tinderbox for iOS, and it does appear that the iPad Pro (though not previous incarnations) has sufficient computational power to handle Tinderbox.

What’s not clear is whether the marketplace exists. Few productivity tools for iOS are profitable or even viable, and the situation appears to be growing worse, not better.

That said, there are already a number of good ways to use Tinderbox with your iPad. Tinderbox has all sorts of export tools -- HTML, pdf, RTF OPML -- that interface nicely with the iPad or with iPad-accessible Web services.  We have good -- and growing -- interoperability with DEVONthink and Simplenote. New folder import facilities (available in backstage builds) work very nicely with Dropbox. And, as you observe, a few minutes of copy-and-paste can accomplish a lot over time.

WWW   IP Logged
Willem Smelik

Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2016, 9:17pm

The way I use Tinderbox is perhaps different from others. I write in Ulysses (version III now), which is Zen for writing. I use BibDesk for inserting BibLaTeX references, and Pandoc for conversion to XeLaTeX. Works a treat.

But I use Tinderbox as much as I use Ulysses. Tinderbox is for the organization, structure of content, and above all raw source and data collection with attributes and agents. For each of my book projects I have a separate Tinderbox file. Could not live without it.

Now I am (belatedly!) considering the purchase of an iPad. There is Ulysses for iPad, so I can write. But I am hesitant about losing my Tinderbox files on the iPad. There's no point for me to export to any other format: it's all about the attributes and agents for me. I rarely export my Tinderbox files. When in research, I just live in Tinderbox.

So far it's Tinderbox 1 iPad 0. But I'd love a draw...

IP Logged
jasonromney

Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2016, 2:17am

Dear Mark,
I am an iPad Pro user (with Apple Pencil) and would leap at the chance to use Tinderbox with it please.
Cheers,
JR

IP Logged
Frank

Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2016, 6:04pm

I would also leap at using Tinderbox on the iPad Pro. Probably a subscription service for iPad+Mac could work.

Not having an iPad component probably will move me away from Tinderbox in the future as having a mobile component becomes a major deciding factor on what applications to use.

Regards,

Frank

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #7 - Mar 15th, 2016, 6:39pm

As the OP cited a need for agents [sic] I think this would need the iPad Pro as 'normal' tablets might not have the grunt for doing agent work. I think this is difficult for the developer as what is the iPad market share of the iPad Pro?

(I'm not against the idea per se, but just see some practical business issues. That said, i'm not a programmer!).

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Willem Smelik

Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2016, 10:27pm

If it's about the processor in the iPad Pro, the iPad air 3 (provisional name) is expected to share that processor, A9X.
That said, I'd understand if it was considered too complicated to port Tb to iOS. Regrettably, yet understandably.

IP Logged
andreas grimm

Reply #9 - Mar 23rd, 2016, 6:02pm

Quote:
The way I use Tinderbox is perhaps different from others. I write in Ulysses (version III now), which is Zen for writing. I use BibDesk for inserting BibLaTeX references, and Pandoc for conversion to XeLaTeX. Works a treat.

@Willem Smelik: Even if slightly off topic: Could you kindly elaborate on your mentioned workflow of using TB, Ulysses, BibLaTeX and Pandoc.

Cheers,

andreas

IP Logged
boots

Reply #10 - Mar 27th, 2016, 6:17am

Tinderbox on the ipad would be awesome.

IP Logged
Anand

Reply #11 - Mar 28th, 2016, 11:46am

+1 for tinderbox on iPad Pro.  The Pro does change the game.

IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #12 - Mar 29th, 2016, 9:14am

Quote:
Not having an iPad component probably will move me away from Tinderbox in the future as having a mobile component becomes a major deciding factor on what applications to use.

I have a yes, sort-of reaction: Obviously synching among a variety of platforms will become more and more important. A major advantage of something as streamlined as Workflowy and as complex as Evernote is that they are seamlessly omnipresent: laptop or desktop computer, iPad, Android (which I use), also iPhone.

I mainly use Tinderbox for "real" work situations, which for me means: situations in which I type. It would be more convenient if I could have mobile access to Tinderbox for (a) quick reference to material that is there, and (b) capture of info on the fly. I end up using mainly Workflowy, sometimes Evernote, as the middleman for both converting TB info into a form I can have with me and refer to on the iPad, or capturing info during the day and then importing it to TB when I'm at an office.

If Eastgate were a big enough company, like Evernote, to support all these different platforms; or if what it offered were as straightforward as Workflowy, so that a mobile version would be easier, then naturally I'd be glad to have it on all platforms. I can understand why the cost/benefit calculation is difficult from Eastgate's perspective.

IP Logged
Jim Reid

Reply #13 - Mar 29th, 2016, 11:28am

Mark mentioned this briefly above, but Simplenote makes an excellent inbox on an iPad (or iphone, android, or windows pc...). With the now fully reinstated tag recognition, you can even direct your notes into a specific tinderbox file.

It is well worth checking out if you want a quick and easy way of getting information into TBX.

IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #14 - Mar 29th, 2016, 2:31pm

Quote:
Mark mentioned this briefly above, but Simplenote makes an excellent inbox on an iPad (or iphone, android, or windows pc...). With the now fully reinstated tag recognition, you can even direct your notes into a specific tinderbox file.

Thanks for this. I wonder if I could trouble you for a brief step 1-2-3 cook book on how to get the tags synched up with the appropriate TB files? Asking "in public" in case others might also benefit from the tip. Thanks

Update: I see this link in aTbRef which gives a lot of the 1-2-3 steps. http://www.acrobatfaq.com/atbref6/index/Formatting/Supportforotherapp-speci/Simp...

« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2016, 4:36am by J Fallows »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print