Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jumping to the beginning of the note (Read 1223 times)
Desalegn

Norway
Jumping to the beginning of the note
Mar 15th, 2016, 12:45pm

I am using Tinderbox 6.4: mac 10.11

While I am writing my notes in the Text Window, Tinderbox seems to jump back to the beginning of the note if it lost the focus. that is, ever time the focus shifts to the PDF Expert (my pdf reader) for copying some notes, I find my cursor at the beginning of  my note. I have to scroll down to the end or press CMD+ Down. Not a big issue, but I find it annoying.

what is wrong here?
am I making a mistake Tongue, or some bug?

thanks

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Jumping to the beginning of the note
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2016, 1:25pm

I believe, this is 'normal' behaviour in v6. My understanding of the design concept of Tinderbox is for lots of small notes - so the need to track where you are arises less, though I'd agree on a small screen (or with a small window size, the need to scroll $Text is more likely. I recall TB v5 did hold the scroll state for open note, but the design change in v6 means a note is only 'open' when in focus, unless you make a tear-off window.

I've tested tear-off text windows and these hold the $Text scroll state when they lose focus (and until they are closed). Also, as long as you don't alter focus in the main view (left pane of main window) then you can scroll that without $Text scrolling to the top.

Getting the app to remember the last-used scroll state (and noting pane size may vary over time) I suspect that would be a feature request.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2016, 6:37pm

A long time ago, Storyspace had the opposite behavior; notes remembered their scroll position and opened (or reopened) where you had left them last.  This is nice for composition, but awkward for editing and review; much of the time, everything opens at the end of the note, and one has to keep scrolling to the top.

We'll take a fresh look.

WWW   IP Logged
Desalegn

Norway
Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2016, 12:37pm

I am writing my notes in TB while reading research articles. Some articles are quite dense; and the result is longer pages. Having a sticky position would be great for moving back and forth between the PDF reader and TB.

I am also trying to put a shortcut for making List using Keyboard Maestro. The result is the same jumping to the beginning. The Lists insert at the beginning of the note when I hit the keyboard shortcut. Even adding CMD+Down doesn't seem to change the behavior.

I am hopping some change in the future releases, Mark.

thanks

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Mar 16th, 2016, 5:25pm

That sounds like a Keyboard Maestro bug.

WWW   IP Logged
Desalegn

Norway
Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2016, 8:20am

I really want it to be like the Storyspace you described above. Scrolling down where I have been working on every time I click on the PDF reader is giving me a big pain. I copy-paste (click on TB then PDFexpert then TB)  thousands of times a day; I have to scroll down thousands of times....God.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2016, 10:23am

We'll explore the issue.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print