Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to set default text margins to zero? (Read 1322 times)
Devin Beecher

Los Angeles, CA
How to set default text margins to zero?
Mar 19th, 2016, 4:17pm

Hi all,

I'd like to set the default value of LeftMargin and RightMargin to 0 in my Tinderbox document.

I'm having two issues related to this:

1. If I edit the value of LeftMargin to 0, then click away from the note and back to it, the left margin of the text is indeed reduced to zero. But no matter what I change RightMargin to (0, 10, whatever), the right margin of the text does not change. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

2. According to aTbRef's discussion of these attributes*, "The default is set in the Text pane of the Preferences." I assume this refers to the Document Settings. However, I don't see any way to adjust text margins in the Text pane of the Document Settings. (I see Spacing, Alignment, Font, etc., but nothing to do with Margins.) Is there indeed a way to adjust document-wide preference for text margins?

* I haven't posted enough here to be allowed to include a link. You can find this page easily by searching aTbRef for "LeftMargin".

Thanks!

Devin

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: How to set default text margins to zero?
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2016, 7:33pm

Ah, aTbRef is in error here. It was the case in v5 but things changed in v6 (I obviously missed this change when reviewing that). Yuo can't now set a persistent app-level default but for each TBX you could edit the default values for $LeftMargin and $RightMargin (TextFormat group of System attributes). These erronously show in the app as preference derived, although they aren't (I'll report that error!).

You might also try menu Format -> Style -> Reset .

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Devin Beecher

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2016, 7:49pm

Thanks for the reply!

Because $LeftMargin and $RightMargin are erroneously shown, in the TextFormat group of System attributes, as preferences-derived, I can't click in there to edit them. They seem to be read-only. I assume this is something that'll get fixed eventually now that you've reported this as an error. So, thanks for doing that.

I still can't get any individual note's text to respect the $RightMargin attribute. No matter what value I set it at, the right margin seems to stay fixed at the default of 2. I tried Format -> Style -> Reset Margins, but that didn't seem to help. Anything else I should try, or should I report this as a bug?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2016, 4:15am

I'm not sure if these attributes aren't moribund in v6 (and retained for v5  interchange) as the code behind the $Text area changed to Apple frameworks. I think one is supposed to use text styles (e.g. as in Apples's Text Edit) but I'm not too sure. Perhaps someone who does use text styling a lot can spread some light on this?

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2016, 10:50am

Just for my general fund of knowledge, why do you want to set the margins to zero?

« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2016, 10:51am by Mark Bernstein »  
WWW   IP Logged
Devin Beecher

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2016, 11:45am

I realize it might seem strange. But it's simply about screen real estate. I'm working with some big maps at the moment. I like keeping the Text View open, but very small, so that I can see as much of the map as possible. Since the text margins are set at 2, that means my actual text is forced into a pretty narrow column. If I could reduce the margins to 0, then I could keep the Text View small and have my text be more readable.

There is also the issue that clicking in the margins does not put the Insertion Point at the beginning of that line (which is something I'm used to when using, saying Ulysses or Pages). Rather, I have to click right at the start of the line. So the margins seem, for this reason as well, like wasted space.

But if Apple's frameworks don't allow for this change, no worries! I'll get used to it.

Thanks again.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2016, 10:29pm

OK.  Clicking in the margin selects the line. We *could* put the insertion point at the start of the line instead, but then it would be more difficult to do the line selection.

WWW   IP Logged
Devin Beecher

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #7 - Mar 21st, 2016, 1:48pm

Odd: for me, clicking (or double-clicking) in the text margin (left or right) does not select the line. It does nothing...

(Should I email support instead of continuing this forum thread?)

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #8 - Mar 21st, 2016, 5:04pm

The margin-click selection feature isn't in v6.4.0, but should be in the release. It works nicely!

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #9 - Mar 22nd, 2016, 4:12pm

Sorry -- I forgot that the margin click was a Tinderbox 6.5 feature. But Tinderbox 6.5 is now available, so all is well.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print