Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Word Clouds (Read 2956 times)
DonM

Word Clouds
Mar 23rd, 2016, 12:35pm

How do I create a Word Cloud from a TB document?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Word Clouds
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2016, 2:05pm

In v6.5.0+ you can use the new 'words' tab of the Get Info dialog:

(It's not yet in aTbRef but will be soon). If you right click the white word-count area and use the 'copy' option that image is copied to the Mac's clipboard and can be used as an image. If you use the data to create a document in Preview (or a vector image editing app) you can actually access and manipulate the text.

An older solution is to use the ^documentCloud^ export code. Note however that whilst this creates text as different sizes it doesn't do the 'cloud' layout element of the task. I'd use the Get Info method.

« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2016, 2:06pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
DonM

Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2016, 2:39pm

Thanks, Mark for the quick reply. This improved feature comes at great time for my project. - DonM

IP Logged
andreas grimm

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2016, 6:55pm

Mark A. -- what do you mean by "white word-count area" ... I seem to be able to right-click all over this dialogue-window to invoke the "copy"-option ... but nothing seems to be transferred to the Clipboard.

Ideas?

Cheers!

andreas

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2016, 7:44pm

I believe you'll find an image is placed on the clipboard, which you can paste into an image editing program.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2016, 1:52pm

The 'white word-count area' is the white bordered panel at the right of the pop-up (as illustrated in a previous post). The panel shows a word cloud within it. You right click that and press copy. Then open an editor - Preview will do and use the 'new -> from clipboard option.  Or, make a new blank image and paste in the word cloud image data from the clipboard.

Just don't copy anything to your clipboard between clicking 'copy' in Tinderbox and pasting into the doc n your image editor.

There is no option to save the data as a file, which is what I think you are expecting. If you don't have an image editor, don't worry, Mac Preview is perfectly good for making a PNG from the copied data.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
andreas grimm

Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2016, 4:53pm

Thanks, Mark A., for getting back on this.

I did everything the way you described it. (Otherwise: Would I have been offered the "copy" option, I wonder ...) That means: I clicked "Copy" in TB and immediately after that opened Preview.app ... but found "File > New From Clipboard" greyed out ...

Ideas?

Cheers!

andreas

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2016, 8:40pm by andreas grimm »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2016, 5:24pm

Works, as described, for me in v6.5.0:

I right clicked the cloud in Get Info, selected copy, opened Preview and made a new image (shown) from the clipboard.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #8 - Apr 14th, 2016, 6:16pm

It works here, too. There is a well-known bug in OS X that occasionally fouls up the clipboard; if that's your problem, a restart will cure what ails you.

WWW   IP Logged
andreas grimm

Reply #9 - Apr 14th, 2016, 8:38pm

Mark & Mark -- I tried all of your suggestions ... but to no avail. "New from Clipboard" remains greyed out.

I read something about deleting com.apple.screencapture.plist in /Library/Preferences but there happens to be no such file in either the suggested or any other directory.

For the time being I'll stick to shift+ctrl+cmd+4 in order to clip the screenshot to the Clipboard and then paste it with "New from Clipboard" to Preview.app since doing it this way "New from Clipboard" is available in Preview.app.

Thanks anyway!

andreas

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2016, 8:42pm by andreas grimm »  
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #10 - Apr 15th, 2016, 9:55am

Just tested again, and it works fine here. Right click ▸ Copy and then Preview: New from Clipboard.

Tinderbox 6.5.1b203, OSX 10.11.4

« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2016, 9:56am by Mark Bernstein »  
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print