Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TB 6.5 "quit unexpectedly" (Read 1283 times)
Sascha D.

TB 6.5 "quit unexpectedly"
Mar 24th, 2016, 2:25am

Yesterday I upgraded to TB 6.5. Today in the morning I wanted to open a rather simple document (no agents, only edicts in place, no links) made with TB 6.4. Unfortunately the document does not open. After some seconds the message "Tinderbox quit unexpectedly" appears. This is a rather nasty surprise since I just TB to track tasks. I never encountered this behaviour before.
Can anyone help?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: TB 6.5 "quit unexpectedly"
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2016, 4:11am

Please report this to support as it isn't something the forum can diagnose. If you are asked for a crash log, this article may help you locate such things.

Whilst it's not impossible to inadvertantly create a condition in a document that may cause a crash, the app itself is generally very stable. Bear in mind that if one keeps triggering the same crash condition, each event doesn't mean the app is less stable but simply that the trigger event is consistent.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Sascha D.

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2016, 4:35am

Just sent some crash logs to Eastgate Support.

IP Logged
Sascha D.

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2016, 8:13am

As an add-on: Just tested some other TB 4.6 files: No problems with them.

IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2016, 9:47am

Code:
the app itself is generally very stable 

My experience over the years is that the release versions of the app are indeed quite stable, and that crashes when they occur don't lead to any data loss. Also my experience is that Eastgate is very good at sleuthing out the causes of crashes, if you send them the Apple crash reports, and can issue patches quickly.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2016, 9:22am by J Fallows »  
  IP Logged
B.Moreira

Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2016, 12:17pm

I've sent also 2 crash reports to support mail; 6.5 also quits for me when opening 2 particular agents on my document. Hope you can fix it.

I think crashes will always happen. The important thing is having no data loss ... that would be critical. But never lost anything with TBX yet.  Smiley

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: TB 6.5 and OS X 10.9
Reply #6 - Mar 25th, 2016, 4:26am

We've heard so far about two problems.

One appears to be an issue with OSX 10.9 only. As most Tinderboxers have upgraded to 10.10 or 10.11, this may have slipped through testing.  This might take a couple of weeks to track down.  Update:  We now know why Tinderbox 6.5 isn't working on 10.9 . It can probably be worked around, but it does mean that some of the new infrastructure won't be available in 10.9. Upgrading to Yosemite or El Capitan might be the best option; let us know (info@eastgate.com) if that's going to cause problems for you.

The other involves selections a note at startup which has certain kinds of complex rules or edicts. A fix for this will be forthcoming shortly.

« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2016, 5:54am by Mark Bernstein »  
WWW   IP Logged
Sascha D.

Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2016, 8:30am

After updating to OS X 10.11.4 the document works again. Strange.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print