Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Caution on Upgrade to 6.50 With Mac OS <10.10 (Read 3622 times)
Henry Stein

Caution on Upgrade to 6.50 With Mac OS <10.10
Mar 25th, 2016, 11:29am

I eagerly downloaded and tried to install TB 6.5.0 without noticing that it requires the latest Mac OS.  (I still use OS. 10.8.5.) Consequently TB 6.5.0 would not run. Eventually, I realized that installing the older TB 6.4.0 would work.  I also run Parallels Desktop and Windows 7 on my iMac and am hesitant to upgrade the Mac OS & Parallels after getting them to work well together, so temporarily, I'll have to pass on the TB upgrades.  

Edited:
Edit by admin - I changed thread title to make the issue clearer

Edited:
Edit by admin - I changed thread title again to reflect MB's subsequent post

« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2016, 10:19am by Mark Anderson »  
WWW   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Caution on Upgrade to 6.50 With Mac OS <10.9
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2016, 6:40am

And, in point of fact, Tinderbox 6.5 requires OS X 10.10.

We may well be able to work around this to support 10.9, if that's desired.

WWW   IP Logged
Henry Stein

Re: Caution on Upgrade to 6.50 With Mac OS <10.10
Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2016, 8:38pm

Would it be possible to also support 10.8.5?

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2016, 11:54am

It's possible to support 10.8, but it's even more work and expense. I believe OS X 10.8.5 was released in August, 2009; that's getting pretty far in the rear view window.

That said, if there's a good reason to stay with 10.8, we could probably arrange something.

WWW   IP Logged
David Topps

Calgary, Canada
Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2016, 11:29am

Ok, so I did have this very helpful interchange with Mark, that I will post in case others can benefit. I think this will be a good workaround for me. Will keep you posted on how it works. Herewith the message exchange thread:

MB: Tinderbox 6.5 won't run on  10.9 — part of the new infrastructure turns out to depend on 10.10 .  I believe this could be worked around if there is reason to do so, though of course upgrading OS X is a common solution and seems to work for lots of people.

DT: My challenge is that I access Tinderbox from two different machines. File is stored on DropBox. And, no I don’t access it simultaneously – not expecting that. So on one machine, I am running 10.10 so can upgrade to TBox 6.5. But will that alter the tbx file structure so that I cannot then access it using TBox 6.4 on the machine that is running OS X 10.9 ?

There are other constraints on why I should not upgrade the second machine to 10.10.

MB: You should be able to work on the same file with Tinderbox 6.5/OS X 10.10/10.11 on one machine and Tinderbox 6.4/OS X 10.9 on the other.  This isn't well tested, but I don't see an insuperable obstacle in the short term.

WWW dtopps   IP Logged
Henry Stein

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2016, 9:14pm

I'd just like to verify that a file created on TB6.5/6.6 OSX10.10/10.11 can be opened and worked on by another user with TB6.4 OSX10.85.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #6 - Jun 3rd, 2016, 12:25pm

Yes, this should be fine.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print