Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dragging notes between tinderboxes (Read 3382 times)
Paul Atlan

Abu Dhabi
Dragging notes between tinderboxes
Apr 01st, 2016, 12:39am

I thought it was possible to copy notes from one .tbx file to another (aTBRef certainly seems to imply so: http://www.acrobatfaq.com/atbref6/index/MiscUserInterfaceAspects/CopyingMovingte...) but I find that I can't drag my notes outside of their own TB window.
Both .tbx files are in the same folder on my hard drive.
Is there a secret trick I'm missing?
Cheers.

WWW   IP Logged
Desalegn

Norway
Re: Dragging notes between tinderboxes
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2016, 1:58am

Copy Paste works for me

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2016, 4:14am

In Tinderbox 6.5, you can only drag within the current window, but you can copy and paste anywhere.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2016, 5:07am

@Paul Ah, I'd missed that. I'd left the drag references in that note in case it would be a late v6 addition and then forgot to re-check it. I've updated the aTbRef page in question.

« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2016, 5:08am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Paul Atlan

Abu Dhabi
Reply #4 - Apr 1st, 2016, 2:38pm

Thanks for the reply.
Copy Paste works, but does not retain Attribute contents (even for non-user Attributes such as isPrototype), nor formatting (e.g. Badges).
I feel I must be missing something.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2016, 5:45pm

I believe that is only true if the attribute in the source note doesn't already exist in the target note (I've just re-tested this in 6.5.0).  In v5 you could drag attributes between the attributes palettes of different TBX but now, in v6, with a single Inspector that is no longer possible. Thus, you need to ensure all attribute (to be copied are added to the target TBX before you paste in items from the source TBX. Sadly, there is no mechanism for copying one/several attribute with all settings from one TBX to another (I guess that's a feature request at this point).

I presume the behaviour of intrinsic attribute values may be variable, e.g. things like $Xpos, $Ypos, $Height and $Width may be not all work the same.

Another potential confusing factor is if you have a custom attribute as a Key Attribute in the source TBX and past the note to another TBX (without the attribute), the 'missing' attribute still appears in the KA table but note is it in grey - actually indicating it is missing. This is because $KeyAttributes is a Set of text strings of attribute names. When rendering that list as a KA table, it assumes the user knows best and includes those items because that's what the user asked for.

I think that's a truer answer and I need to update the aTbRef page re user attributes. It was there  but in another note that I think got deleted when updating the resource for v6.  Embarrassed

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Paul Atlan

Abu Dhabi
Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2016, 2:55am

Thanks for your patient explanation. I'm starting to understand how this works. I still see behaviour that surprises me (mostly for known Attributes values that are not copied over) but I think I'll be able to merge my two .tbx files now.

edit after playing with this for a while:
By far the most robust method I've found is to put everything in a container note and copy that note over (use the copy command in outline view with the note collapsed). This way, links are preserved as well.
Maybe that tip could find its way in aTBRef's discussion of copy/pasting?

Again, thanks for your patience.

« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2016, 2:56am by Paul Atlan »  
WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #7 - Apr 2nd, 2016, 12:14pm

@Paul. Good idea, so noted.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2016, 8:02am

Copy/Paste will copy all attributes, provided that the attribute exists in the destination document!

Instrinsic attributes aren't copied, naturally, since they're always computed from properties of the destination note. For example, $Xpos and $Ypos are always the map position of the note, and that might depend on where you pasted the note in the destination document.

WWW   IP Logged
Christian Kreutz

Reply #9 - May 10th, 2016, 2:57am

Glad I found this conversation. I am new to Thinderbox and I am not sure how I will use it for my projects. So in one case I want to merge two projects (TBX files) and I noticed that I can select multiple notes and "move" them over to another project. BUT then one note is copied and the other ones become "children" of this note.

Is there any way I can easily move multiple notes between projects including links?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #10 - May 10th, 2016, 3:50am

As long as links start/end within the copied/pasted group they are retained. I made a set of about thirty notes nested to 5 levels deep and descending from 3 different root containers, and interlinked them. I copied and pasted the these notes in v6.5.0 and the links and nesting were retained. I tested both with the selection fully expanded (i.e. all to-be-copied notes visible) and with the set collapsed to just the 3 root containers.  Both tests worked.

Are you using copy/paste?

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Christian Kreutz

Reply #11 - May 10th, 2016, 4:49am

Thanks for the quick reply. It does not work for me. I get one note and all the other notes line by line within the same note.

I select the notes using the ALT key. Then I click copy or (CMD C) and go to a different TBX file. There I paste and get the result above.

I made a small screencast about it, but I am not allowed to post it here. hope that link works
cl.ly/1p0L2N422g2U

« Last Edit: May 10th, 2016, 4:49am by Christian Kreutz »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #12 - May 10th, 2016, 6:20am

I see your video and can't replicate that - have you tried moving the resulting icon to see if the others are placed beneath (stacked behind) it?

The prototype assignments don't travel. This is expected - if you want to retain the source prototype assignment you need to copy the relevant prototypes as part of the paste.

I set up a test like in your video but can replicate the effect. Are you pasting into an agent's map?

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Christian Kreutz

Reply #13 - May 10th, 2016, 7:30am

Whatever I copy, the result is only one note in the new project. There are no notes beneath it.

I got a license yesterday and entered it. Can it be that I still run some kind of trial beneath it?

I am not worried about the prototype. I also don't paste it into an agent map. Just to the top of the map.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #14 - May 10th, 2016, 9:55am

RE the licence. Open Tinderbox (I'm using v6.5.0 here) and go to TinderboxSix menu > Register Tinderbox. The dialog that opens will have a green tick in the lower right corner if correctly registered. As in:

As I recall the demo mode only allow a maximum of 20 new notes so if you're adding more than that in the paste (including other new notes that session), a paste might not work. I'm not set up to test that right now as I'm busing using Tinderbox for research so can't mess around with its configuration.

Assuming the app is correctly registered and by way of trying to pin down the error, does this problem occur in every new file, or just in one?

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print