Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CMD+N = new note (not new document) (Read 1481 times)
Desalegn

Norway
CMD+N = new note (not new document)
Apr 08th, 2016, 11:36am

I am curios why new document is preferred over New Note. How many times a user creates a new TBx document? how many times does a user creates a new note?
I think CMD+N should be associated with the creation of New notes than with new documents. We create new documents once in a long time; and we can do them manually (by going to the File).
The intuition seems that [Return] is simpler than CMD+N for creating new note. But, I think the CMD+N opens the opportunity for writing scripts from external tools like Keyboard Maestro or AppleScrip to create a new note in the default or open document, that [Return] cannot do.

To be precise, I was thinking to write a small Quick entry script using Alfred workflow or the Keyboard maestro where I can just drop my ideas into a default open document. But, that doesn't seem possible right now because New Note is associated with just [return] inside open document.

what do you guys think?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: CMD+N = new note (not new document)
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2016, 12:20pm

It's worth noting things like AppleScript allow you to send keystrokes like 'Return' so that, in itself, isn't an impediment to what you're trying to do. Although Tinderbox has no built-in Scripting dictionary (sdef) tools like UI Browser let you figure out how to access the UI to press buttons, etc.

Also, in most main views, double-clicking on a blank part of the view will make a new note.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2016, 5:02pm

⌘-N is conventionally reserved for creating new documents. †I agree that this isn't a task that really calls out for a keyboard shortcut, but itís been a convention for Macintosh software going all the way back to 1984.

That said, I believe you can change the shortcut in System Preferences:Keyboard:Shortcuts.

« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2016, 5:03pm by Mark Bernstein »  
WWW   IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2016, 5:18pm

Quote:
That said, I believe you can change the shortcut in System Preferences:Keyboard:Shortcuts

Yes. Since I create a new TB file maybe once every few weeks, and create new notes all the time, I've mapped Cmd+N via system preferences to the note function.

In case it's not obvious, the exact menu name you want to use in Systems Pref/Keyboard/Shortcuts/AppShortcuts for the mapping is "Create Note" .

« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2016, 5:25pm by J Fallows »  
  IP Logged
Desalegn

Norway
Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2016, 5:19am

I totally forget that trick. Thank you guys.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print