Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Additional quick way to create linked note (Read 1904 times)
David Bertenshaw

Additional quick way to create linked note
Apr 18th, 2016, 2:32am

I often want to create a new note linked to the current one. At the moment, I can press 'Enter' to create the new note, and that's great. But to link it back, I have to use the mouse, which is something I try to avoid as much as possible.

It would be helpful to be able to press (say) ctl-enter and have a link automatically created to the new note (with the type either set to 'untitled' or inheriting the previous choice). That way you could (for example) quickly create a chain of notes to follow the flow of ideas. Or (as I'm doing now) work through notes imported from Kindle, adding comments linked to each imported note.  

I don't think you can do this now, although I've got a vague recollection you could in v5, using Footnotes. However, footnotes don't work on selected notes now, just on selected text.  

Thanks.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Additional quick way to create linked note
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2016, 4:28am

Quote:
I don't think you can do this now

I think you are right. Testing, in v5 you could create a (sibling) footnote from a main view item that had no text. However, in v6, the footnote command is disabled until there is a $Text selection. In fairness, I think that is the design intent re footnotes and easier to impose in the v6 UI.

Footnotes also create 2 reciprocal links (A -> B, B -> A) whereas you really want a single link (of the last-used? link type) from the current note to the new one. As a sidenote, by default the selected item after linking is the target note (see doc settings), which is a nod to the usage you're after.

So, this does strike me as a discrete new feature request.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2016, 5:47am

Actually, I'd be happy enough with returning to the old footnotes behaviour, now that you've confirmed what it was. The actual value of the link is less important than the improved ease of creation (as I can change link types easily enough afterwards if I want to).

As an aside, the new 'selected text' child footnotes behaviour is to create a new sibling container called 'Notes' and dump them all in there (e.g. any child footnote within a certain level is automatically created within the Notes container for that level, irrespective of its parent). I think this is a change from v5 as well. I wonder if the thinking is that footnotes go at the end of a section / chapter for export and therefore having all footnotes together in one container makes sense? Whilst I think of 'footnotes' as just a name for notes which are linked to text within another note: if I choose 'child footnote' I expected them to be real children, not off to the side in another container. When I first pressed shift-cmd-F I spent ten minutes looking for the child note I thought I'd created Wink

I'm not complaining about this, BTW, just interested in the thinking behind the change.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2016, 7:17am

The footnote, returned in v6.4.0 after a hiatus. My presumption is new 'Notes' container for child footnotes makes most sense from a Map based use. I'll admit to being more Outline-centric than I intend, but only because a) many of my projects are simply too big for a single map and b) I dod a lot of export and that generally involves linearisation to an outline. Anyway...

In a map, if child footnotes at children of the 'source' note, the latter's map icon become a container cutting of use of many of the visual subtleties on offer in the basic note form. I think Tinderbox's author likes the latter so the change in footnote location is at least logical if not to everyone's taste. The last isn't a stab at @David, I've used Tinderbox long enough to know that more than casual use results in quite idiosyncratic style that's hard for Tinderbox's designer to harmonise nicely.

ISTM, now more built-in prototypes are emerging (good, IMO!), then a useful thing might be to give all footnotes a 'Footnote' (built-in) prototype. This would make it easier for those whose footnote use doesn't match the default style to find and move Notes to their desired location via action code (e.g. an agent checking if 'Footnote' type notes were children of their linked parent).

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2016, 7:57am

Interesting, thanks.

I'm not bothered by the new 'Notes container' behaviour (once I realised what was happening), but I really would like a return to the 'create a footnote from a selected note' feature. The problem that it's one of the things that is really difficult to replicate by other means (e.g. Keyboard Maestro), and if you're trying to link a chapter of 80 snippets to comments, having to use the mouse after every one gets old very quickly... (and I think I do want to use links in this case, not other methods of association).

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2016, 8:26am

I hear you. In my current projects, I tend to link at scale (linking lots of imported/expoded notes) and find that careful use of the action code linking tools makes the process achievable. Sure, 'some assembly' is required, you can't just push a button; you need to figure out the code and understand the structure of your notes. Nonetheless, I put the option out there as omne for for people to try.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2016, 9:09am

For some reason, part of the v6.4 changes to aTbRef didn't export. Now fixed, including this note about Footnotes.  Smiley

[edit- typo]

« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2016, 10:42am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2016, 10:39am

Thanks for the atbref update, Mark. Very helpful, as usual.

The process I'm using is (still under development!):

a) Import and clean the Kindle snippets and place them into chapter containers.
b) identify the key notes (toggle $Key) within a chapter and whisk them away to another part of the map with a smart adornment
c) read through the key notes again creating my own summary notes (linked back to the key notes)
d) build my summary notes into a visual map of the chapter etc, so it's my own words, but it's clear when the thoughts come from.

I'm thinking it would be helpful just to press ctl-enter at stage c (or have the old sibling footnote behaviour back) and have the summary note already linked.

« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2016, 10:39am by David Bertenshaw »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print