Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hint the center of a map view (Read 2298 times)
Christian Kreutz

Hint the center of a map view
May 10th, 2016, 12:49pm

Totally new to Thinderbox and this might have been already discussed, but I could not find anything searching in the forum. I find it confusing not to know where the center of the map is, which is for example important to make children notes visible.

I imagine it would be helpful to have a tiny little point in the map view hinting that this the center.

I can see already after two days that I need to construct my maps manually and therefore cannot rely on the cleanup function.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Hint the center of a map view
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2016, 3:41pm

Quote:
I can see already after two days that I need to construct my maps manually

Although Tinderbox will add new notes trying to avoiding significant overlap (e.g. obscuring other notes) this is as much to allow for adding notes in other views as it is about map layout. My understanding is the design assumption has always been that the final layout is manual. In part this is to assist with helping surface emergent structure. Map view has a grid (on by default) to which Tinderbox will attempt to align new notes, and there are some alignment features, but the aim is not to be like Powerpoint or Omnigraffle or Illustrator.

You might find it useful to read this series of notes on how notes are arrayed and navigated in Map and Outline view and the concept of the container viewport and what is shown therein. It's slightly outdated for v6; I can't update it yet as I don't have a clear grasp yet on the 'rules' governing what's changed since v5 when I wrote the articles.

If you right-click in a map (background - not a note) the context menu shows the {X,Y} co-ordinates of that position.

A container's $MapScrollX and $MapScrollY give the child map's co-ordinates as visible at top left of the parent container viewport. This should aide you in aligning child content with

Maps are essentially unlimited and the {0,0} is simply a master point for co-ordinates (note that Y is flipped - $Pos -1 is one unit up from {0,0}).

« Last Edit: May 10th, 2016, 3:41pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Christian Kreutz

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2016, 5:57am

Thanks a lot Marc for the comprehensive explanation. I am just 3 days into Tinderbox and I love it already. Something I was searching for a long time. Wink

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - May 11th, 2016, 7:47am

An issue still settling down in v6 (which is the first version built in Xcode fully on Apple Cocoa frameworks) is that Maps tend to re-open in a different place than when last used. That behaviour isn't something I fully understand yet. In fairness, there are several possible choices:
  • Go back to the X/Y location last used when using this map in map view (but what if screen-sae has altered since last visit)
  • Load the map with the (for example) top left item in the map in view.
  • Load the map scrolled to show that current item - which may have been selected in a different view type.
So there isn't, as might be assumed, a single correct answer as to what you should see on (re-)entering a map!

Reading this blog post by Tinderbox's author, about maps, he notes in finishing:

Quote:
Itís sometimes important to remember that these maps are almost always a means to an end, and that end is understanding, not making a map that you can hang on your wall.

This is counter-intuitive, as I think we generally like to tidy maps. From my own Tinderbox work and looking at that of others, tidiness - if applied too early, and for tidiness sake - can simply obscure emergent structure. I'm learning to like messy maps; at least, until the research phase is done.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #4 - May 11th, 2016, 4:04pm

Quote:
I am just 3 days into Tinderbox and I love it already. Something I was searching for a long time

I had that experience when coming across it about 8 years ago. A marvelously powerful and supple tool.

Quote:
An issue still settling down in v6 (which is the first version built in Xcode fully on Apple Cocoa frameworks) is that Maps tend to re-open in a different place than when last used.

This is one of a small number of known-and-not-yet-solved bumps with the program. The time when it is most problematic for me is when a map opens with none of its items visible, so you're not sure which direction you're supposed to pan to find them. (Usually zooming out is the answer in that case.) But, again, it's one of a few challenges with a very powerful program. And the revisions and bug fixes keep coming at an amazing pace.†

IP Logged
James Regan

Reply #5 - May 27th, 2016, 6:31pm

I am not sure if this will help, but it seems to me that the process of switching between map and outline views is one of the culprits causing the program to lose positioning/location/focus of the notes. I have found that by staying in the map view that I can go directly to the position of the other notes as  I left them without having to re-position/scroll in the map view in order to find them. I also use the breadcrumb capability at the top of TinderBox main window to traverse the map.  However, as soon as I move to the outline view, I lose this anchoring capability.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #6 - May 28th, 2016, 8:10am

I believe youíll  find this is all much better in Tinderbox 6.6 .

WWW   IP Logged
James Regan

Reply #7 - Jun 8th, 2016, 7:51pm

I am using 6.6.1, and the behavior appears to be the same as it was in previous versions of TBX.

I can keep focus/position of all notes if I stay in the map view, but as soon as I switch to the outline view and then try to return to the map view, I lose the focus/position of all my notes.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #8 - Jun 9th, 2016, 1:08pm

If you switch tabs, Tinderbox maintains the tabís scroll position.

When you switch the current tab from outline to map view, Tinderbox 6.6.1 doesn't restore the map scroll position. That can be done, and we'll try it in the next release.

« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2016, 1:15pm by Mark Bernstein »  
WWW   IP Logged
James Regan

Reply #9 - Jun 9th, 2016, 1:42pm

Thanks! I appreciate the response.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print