Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How can I view two notes side-by-side? (Read 1297 times)
Pat Maddox

How can I view two notes side-by-side?
May 21st, 2016, 2:05pm

This is a common use case that I've yet to figure out so far: I want to view the content of two (or more) notes at one time.

I'd like to have a window editing one note on the left side of the screen, and another window on the right side of the screen to navigate other notes.

"New window" to the rescue, right?

Not quite... I can pull up two windows side-by-side, but the two windows are completely connected. If I click on "note 1" in window 1, it selects note 1 in window 2!

I can create multiple tabs / views in either window... but it doesn't really matter. Whichever note is selected in one window, is also selected in the other window.

My workaround (thus far) has been to export the content of whatever notes I want to review... but now that I have more structure to my document (maps!) that no longer works.

Am I really the first person in the history of Tinderbox v6 to want to look at two notes at the same time?  Smiley

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: How can I view two notes side-by-side?
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2016, 2:41pm

At the moment all tabs in a window use a common focus, unless (I believe) the current focus lies outside a tabs focus - IOW, the narrower the focus the more chance tabs use a different focus. Different doc windows - which personally I don't use much - can hold a different focus: can someone confirm the latter.

If you want review 2 different notes, open one as a stand-alone ('tear-off') window - View menu or Cmd+Opt+X. Note re the latter that (a) they only persist for the current session (IOW they are lost once the doc is closed - their existence isn't saved) and (b) these extra windows can only be opened when the view pane has focus.  The latter limitation is as at v6.5.0 but should go with the next release.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #2 - May 21st, 2016, 3:36pm

Quote:
Am I really the first person in the history of Tinderbox v6 to want to look at two notes at the same time?   Smiley

Nope! You are coming with precocious speed upon the one aspect of Tinderbox 6 that I wish were the same as version 5-and-earlier design. And one that has been mulled-over here through the years. I understand that there were careful trade-offs going into the decision, and that is not realistic to un-do at this point. But for me, personally, it makes the program less useful and drives me to find workarounds like the ones Mark A is describing.

The best simple way to illustrate the virtue of being able to see multiple windows on the same screen at the same time is the QuickReference feature in Scrivener, which allows you to have a research-note file, or a little outline, or a previous draft, in view on the screen while you work on your main document.

This is mainly to say: Yes, as part of your high-speed exploration of the program, you've discovered one of its few, rare limits.

« Last Edit: May 21st, 2016, 3:50pm by J Fallows »  
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - May 21st, 2016, 3:39pm

Text windows are your friend.

WWW   IP Logged
Scott Heftler

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2016, 6:48pm

Actually, in the previous beta version (b210), different windows did only display the text of their respective notes.  I thought that my prayers had been answered and Mark B had ordered the text pane of each window to display only notes selected in that window.  I was so happy I nearly wept.

Alas, in the current version (b211), all text panes display the SAME note, which is the most recently selected one, wherever that may be.

Still, it's encouraging to know that display utopia is actually possible and not being prevented by technical issues.

IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2016, 2:46pm

Quote:
Actually, in the previous beta version (b210), different windows did only display the text of their respective notes.  I thought that my prayers had been answered and Mark B had ordered the text pane of each window to display only notes selected in that window.  I was so happy I nearly wept.

Alas, in the current version (b211), all text panes display the SAME note, which is the most recently selected one, wherever that may be.

As I understand it, from discussion in some other threads, this has to do whether the different notes you're trying to view are in the same container, or different containers. As I understand it, if they're both in the same container, TB will apply the same focus to both windows. But if they are in different containers, they can have different points of focus.

Correct, Mark A and Mark B?

IP Logged
Scott Heftler

Reply #6 - Jun 21st, 2016, 4:25pm

Text Windows are definitely friends, but their personalities are fixed. Document Windows are super-friends with multiple personalities. They come with a sidebar (called the View Pane) that lets you fill and refill a dedicated rectangle of your screen with other notes’ contents without having to rearrange everything. You can even collapse the View Pane and show only the Text Pane (nothing is sexier than a Text Pane disguised as a Text Window).

With Text Windows, you have to stack them on top of each other with a little bit of corner showing in order to play hide-and-reveal. Once you stack 8-10 of those suckers they begin to drift diagonally and mess things up.

I use TB for connecting and arranging many things. Almost all the work I do in TB is multi-note oriented. TB is all about many, together, for comparison or synthesis. If I want elegance and simplicity I can use TextEdit. TB is a tinkerer's workshop. Please bring local Text Panes back.  :'(

IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #7 - Jun 23rd, 2016, 9:51am

Quote:
I use TB for connecting and arranging many things. Almost all the work I do in TB is multi-note oriented. TB is all about many, together, for comparison or synthesis. If I want elegance and simplicity I can use TextEdit. TB is a tinkerer's workshop. Please bring local Text Panes back.

FWIW: I think TB is a miracle. But I agree that it would be even more of a miracle with this aspect of the old UI restored in some form. The work-arounds now available do some of the job but not as well.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print