Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Inheritance of attributes of parent (Read 1306 times)
Rigas Arvanitis

Paris (France)
Inheritance of attributes of parent
May 28th, 2016, 5:05am

Hi
(sorry its an easy one but I dont find the solution).
I have a Prototype "Lots of tasks" that contains Task notes
Prototype wants you to create a task that has today's date and the following attributes:
if ($StartDate==empty) {$StartDate=today};
if ($DansProjet==empty) {$DansProjet=$DansProjet(parent)};
if ($TimelineBand==empty){$TimelineBand=$TimelineBand(parent)}

Apart from the date, all the other instructions simply do not translate in the attributes of the new Task note. Am I wrong with the "parent" deisgnator?

Any idea what am I doing wrong?

Thank you all !

Rigas Arvanitis
WWW   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Inheritance of attributes of parent
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2016, 8:09am

"empty" is a string with five letters.  I expect you mean

if ($DansProjet=="") {$DansProjet=$DansProjet(parent)};

unless $DansProject is a string attribute with a default value of "empty".  Even then, empty should be surrounded by quotes because itís a string.

Why does the $StartDate rule not fail, too?  Tinderbox knows it's comparing dates, so it silently changes the rule to be

if ($StartDate==date("empty")) {$StartDate=date("today")};

"empty" isn't something that date() understands, so date("empty") is "never" -- the default for $StartDate.

WWW   IP Logged
Rigas Arvanitis

Paris (France)
Reply #2 - May 28th, 2016, 9:40am

YES !!!

Master Bernstein, you are right (as always).

Thanks

Rigas Arvanitis
WWW   IP Logged
Desalegn

Norway
Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2016, 4:48pm

Quote:
if ($StartDate==date("never")) {$StartDate=date("today")};

is not printing the day as value to my $StartDate attribute. I don't know what mistake I am making.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2016, 5:24pm

That works for me (in v6.1.).†Have you tested to code on its own? †Make a new file, add a note and set the $OnAdd to that code. †then make a new note, set $StartDate as a key attribute and drag it into the container. When I do this the date is set correctly.

The most likely thing at this point is some other code (agent, rule, etc) may be acting on the note. The above test should resolve that issue. If the test fails, I'd close/re-open Tinderbox and try again. If it still fails if must be something more obscure. I don't think locale affects date designators - i.e. "today" works the same on a US, French, Russian, etc. OS locale system.

//edits - typos

« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2016, 6:45am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Desalegn

Norway
Reply #5 - Jun 12th, 2016, 5:53am

Hi Mark, yes, it worked. I was trying to do it using Prototypes. Why do you prefer to a Container?

I was putting the $addOn on the prototype; and the $StartDate attribute to the notes I am creating with that prototype. Indeed, assigning the $AddOn on the containers isn't problem for me either. Thanks for explaining it.

[Mod: I think you mean $OnAdd rather than $addOn!]

« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2016, 6:29pm by Mark Bernstein »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #6 - Jun 12th, 2016, 6:44am

The use of a container is incidental. It was just simple method to specifying a minimal test for the code. The test works and has flushed out more circumstantial information , e.g. that you have prototypes involved.

Prototypes. If your prototype has a rule (or edict) like so:

if($StartDate==date("never")) {$StartDate=date("today")};

The the rule will run in the prototype, set $StartDate to the date/time the first time the code ran. That value will never change and all notes using the prototype will inherit the same $StartDate. In effect, the rule is broken - albeit unintentionally.

The $RuleDisabled attribute is there for just this sort of scenario. It is false by default (i.e. rules run by default) and it's value is never inherited - for reasons that should come apparent.

To use a prototype to set a rule like above, you first need to ensure the rule never fires in the prototype. The easiest way to do this is to select the prototype and open the Rule Inspector: un-tick the 'Enabled' box (this sets $RuleDisabled to true). Do this before adding any rule code. In an existing document you may have rule code already set up, so may need to reset any affected attributes that the rule may change when run.

Now, because the rule is suppressed in the prototype, it is run for the first time in each inheriting notes.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Desalegn

Norway
Reply #7 - Jun 12th, 2016, 12:55pm

Quote:
The the rule will run in the prototype, set $StartDate to the date/time the first time the code ran. That value will never change and all notes using the prototype will inherit the same $StartDate. In effect, the rule is broken - albeit unintentionally.

now, I understand my mistake. Thank you Mark, as always!

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #8 - Jun 12th, 2016, 2:50pm

No 'mistake' on your part! $RuleDisabled is there exactly because sometimes normal attribute inheritance gives us unintended results.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print