Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tinderbox forms engine (Read 830 times)
Micah Joel

Tinderbox forms engine
Jun 11th, 2016, 1:35am

Thinking out loud, as I ponder building a dashboard for my new job (as a people manager)

Tinderbox kind of does have forms, if you look at it the right way. For example, you can make it easy to enter typed metadata on a note. But what kind of use cases would be opened up with a full forms engine?

What if a note could be styled as an input control (text box, selection list, etc.)? With validation rules and before/after change events? Even in outline view? Timeline?

What if a note could be styled as a pushbutton? With events, etc. Even in outline view?

Id be all over a more declarative set of common responses that could be wired up to form controls. Could hyperlinks represent relationships between form fields?

Yes, Im drawing inspiration here from W3C XForms. I think much of this is already possible, though possibly in a less convenient manner.

Welcome your thoughts on this.

IP Logged
MJ Mastroianni

Re: Tinderbox forms engine
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2016, 1:27pm

Micah,

I also have these thoughts from time to time, a more declarative set of features that make it more amenable to construct a more GUI-app kind of thing ... but it's really hard to be all things to all people and be any good at anything ... I think a lot of my own challenges using Tinderbox tend to reside in wanting it to be something other than it wants to be, honestly Smiley

Cheers,

Mike

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print