Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Importing from other systems/apps to Tinderbox (Read 2346 times)
Marianne Høyen

Importing from other systems/apps to Tinderbox
Jun 25th, 2016, 2:06pm

Hi

After having read 'everything' about Tinderbox on the internet, I am nearly convinced that I will try to bring my research data to Tinderbox.

The research data I have in mind comes from three different sources: Excel, Endnote, and single jpeg-files. In 'The Chronicle from Sherwood' site, I have seen that data from Excel can be imported. That's fine! What about Endnote? I have about 2000 literature records in Endnote. Can I import those, too?

Endnote holds literature information, Excel information about the authors. The jpegs are pictures of the single book, table of content, introduction. It is old books, I work with, so no possibilities for digital copies.

Thanks for your answer!

BW

Marianne

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Importing from other systems/apps to Tinderbox
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2016, 3:51pm

If your literature references are mostly bibliographic, it might make sense to leave them in EndNote (or Bookends, or as you like); after all, they're already there, and EndNote will do its job -- formatting references -- really well.  You could make notes in Tinderbox that connect to your references, either using a URL scheme or just by containing a citation reference.

Tinderbox also understands RIS, which EndNote can generate.

« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2016, 3:51pm by Mark Bernstein »  
WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2016, 4:09pm

As for the JPEGs, Tinderbox File-type attributes can hold links to files (or folders!). If these attributes are used as key attributes, you can open the target file/folder via Finder.  You could embed the JPEGs into your notes' $Text but I think that will likely just lead to bloating your TBX file size if you have lots of JPEGs.

You can always try the demo. As the demo limits the number of notes you can create, the approach to take it to try and build an exemplar note of how your research note(s) might look in TB, linked to EndNote, JPEgs etc. You don't need 000s of test notes to prove the system. Indeed, picking one, or a few examples is a useful discipline inn understanding your data structure. If you can't pick examples, it's a useful revaltion (from expereince!) that you a bit more structuring to do. In the latter case Tinderbox is good as a reall (and oft overlooked) strength is its strong support for incremental formalisation - i.e. adding structure as you needed it and not having to guess what you might need.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Marianne Høyen

Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2016, 1:20am

Thanks for your answer!

It sounds great that I'm able to import references from Endnote (from RIS-format). The references I have are not traditional references to me but children of a parent (one or more authors) - my research is about these authors. I agree that Endnote is doing a great job formatting references. However, that's not what I want to do.

I cannot figure out how to import the RIS-file into notes in Tinderbox? Tinderbox help does not reveal anything nor does 'getting started'. I have made a very small export of just a few references to try out in the Tinderbox demo. I would love to see how that looks in notes?

BW
Marianne

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2016, 4:59am

It seems drag/drop or File-> open don't work but if you open your RIS file in a plain text editor (e.g. TextWrangler), copy the contents, then blind-paste into a Tinderbox document view pane it seems to work. I don't use RIS regularly/knowingly, so someone else may have a better suggestion.

Once the references are in Tinderbox, there are lots of ways to re-organise them in the container/child form you describe. You can do this manually as you review data. Or, assuming pertinent info in each of the reference notes, an agent could find and move notes under a given (author) container. It's hard to be more specific while the context is so general. But, Yes, once you've imported your RIS data I think you'll find you can do what you want.

I suggest this test (using the TB demo). Export 2 or 3 RIS reference files from EndNote, for references you wish to have a common parent. Add them to Tinderbox using the method above. Make a new note that will act as the parent.  In Map view, drag/drop the RIS-derived notes onto the latter making them children.  Or in Outline, drag the notes below the container note, select the RIS notes and press Tab to make them children (...there are loads of ways to do this task - these are just two!).

If you'll need to bulk-import 00s of RIS files you might want to ask support if there's a quicker method than the above per-file copy/paste.

FWIW, when dragging reference(s) from Bookends, RIS data is pulled across. If EndNote has a Mac client perhaps it to generates RIS-formatted drag data. I don't have/use EndNote so can't test further but I'm sure some regular here does use the app and might be able to comment on this.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Marianne Høyen

Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2016, 5:15am

Brilliant! Thanks a lot. I realise that things possibly can be done in a number of ways which is nice - and a bit overwhelming, too.

I'll try to follow your suggestion for a test just to see, how it works

BW
Marianne

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2016, 7:04am

Don't worry about the choice - it simply allows people to find their own way of doing things.

In the same way, you don't have to use all the views - thuogh once you've got some data in your document, do check out the Attribute Browser.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print