Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Learning languages with Tinderbox? (Read 1474 times)
Stan

Learning languages with Tinderbox?
Jul 09th, 2016, 12:09pm

I am evaluating Tinderbox as a tool for learning languages. If anyone has used it for this I'd be interested in hearing about your experience. Thank you!

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Learning languages with Tinderbox?
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2016, 8:03am

Are you interested in Tinderbox as an aid to independent learning -- e.g. Flash cards, or note-taking in class?

Or as a tool for designing exercises for a course?  Or for designing a course curriculum?  If so, what sort of pedagogical approach do you adopt?

I think Tinderbox might find a role in any of the above, but clearly that role would be quite different!

WWW   IP Logged
Stan

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2016, 9:21am

As an aid to independent learning, including something like flash cards (but for larger units than single words), transcribing and organizing notes taken in class, grammar rules and charts, etc. etc.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2016, 6:47am

There's a good deal about taking lecture notes in The Tinderbox Way and in http://notesAboutNotes/ , and I believe there's some good stuff in the case notes.

In principle, charts might be more easily sketched by hand than in Tinderbox -- Tinderbox isn't really a graphic tool!  Still, that can be handy as well.

WWW   IP Logged
Marc

Bangkok, Thailand
Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2016, 11:18am

Like Stan, I am interested in Tinderbox for learning languages -- independent learning.

The thinking pathways in any language reflect the underlying culture.
Could TB illuminate those pathways, so the language can be more easily studied and learned?

My approach would be to enter an entire dictionary into TB (about 30,000 words in both source language and English.)
Then experiment and see what TB can discover.

My target language is Thai, so things may be more difficult because of the non-Latin script.

Now, I must disclose that I am not yet a TB user!
I only discovered TB about an hour ago from a reference on the DevonThink web site.
Then I ordered the ebook, "The Tinderbox Way".
Buy chance I stumbled on this forum and on Stan's post about learning languages.
So I registered for the forum just to respond.
Perhaps there are others here who are using TB as a high-order language learning tool.

« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2016, 11:20am by Marc »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print