Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Collecting notes of a prototype: OnAdd vs. others (Read 2264 times)
Jordan

Collecting notes of a prototype: OnAdd vs. others
Jul 26th, 2016, 1:45am

Suppose you want to have all the Tasks in your document — or all notes of any other prototype — collected in one container.

Two obvious ways I see are
  • Create a "Tasks" note, set an OnAdd action to assign the prototype when creating, and keep a window open on that note so you can create tasks there.
  • Create a "Tasks" agent that searches for notes with the prototype, and manually assign the prototype whenever I create one (or have a rule that searches for "TODO" in note names, or something similar).

Just from playing around a little, it seems to me that the second is preferable, because it lets me create tasks in whichever container they really belong in. But bearing in mind that I'm using tasks just as an example, standing in for any kind of prototype, are there situations in which the first method — or some other — would be preferable to the second?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Collecting notes of a prototype: OnAdd vs. others
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2016, 3:17am

As you've shown there are several approaches that answer the broad answer. I believe the solution for the individual is found by turning the question around and considering what you want to do with the notes in question.

If, for instance you want to draw a richly linked map (spatial hypertext of (only?) the tasks, than having them - the originals of the task notes - in one container. Conversely, it might be that tasks need to reside within discrete projects (i.e. separate containers) but need to be reviewed en masse. The agent approach works better for the latter. Another approach might be to keep tasks in one container and place aliases back in the locations where they are pertinent, i.e. the project or whatever to which they belong. In other words the structural choice should ideally reflect the nature and style of your work.

At minimum, regardless of how the tasks are stored, I would give all tasks a common prototype. That one step makes it significantly easier to find and/or act on all tasks in a single operation. Prototypes may seem confusing at first encounter, but are easily understood with a little practice and are the route to powerful use of Tinderbox even in small documents.

Don't worry if you start off down the wrong track and have lots of tasks in the wrong configuration. Action code can help.  For instance, by setting the $Container attribute of a note, you move it - literally - into a new container within the overall outline. Bear in mind that if using an agent action to set $Container, you need to set $Container(original) otherwise you're moving the alias outside the agent rather than the note to which the alias points.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Jordan

Re: Collecting notes of a prototype: OnAdd vs. others
Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2016, 3:15pm

OK, thanks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1