Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Linking in the  Text Window (Read 1442 times)
Desalegn

Norway
Linking in the  Text Window
Jul 26th, 2016, 3:50am

Hitting CMD+SHIFT+L pops up the linking window in the main TB. But, this is not working in the Text Window. Can the Text Window get the feature?

(I am posting here hopping that I don't miss sth about the Linking in the Text Window).

« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2016, 3:50am by Desalegn »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Linking in the  Text Window
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2016, 4:26am

Tinderbox is built on current Apple [sic] frameworks. This has bought many useful features Mac OS X users are used to but it appears that dragging links between windows - as in v5 and older versions - is no longer possible.

If I open a text window (Cmd+Opt+X) as a stand-alone 'text' window, I can open Browse Links on that window via the View menu or shortcut Cmd+Opt+L. Note the latter - you report using Cmd+Shift+L which is incorrect.

So you can open Browse Links from a text window and use that to alter link types or delete links. However, the normal drag-creation of links is not possible from such a window due to limitations in the underlying framework.

You might find this shortcut summary of use. I think it's pretty complete - but anyone's welcome to report any errors or omissions.  Smiley

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Desalegn

Norway
Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2016, 9:36am

Thank you for the shortcuts: I was thinking to collect and print them. You already did it. Great.

About the request: I am sorry if I am not clear. My objective is not to create links between two notes (note-to-note). What I want is to link a text in the $Text window to another note (text-to-note). IN the main window, that shortcut (CMD+shift+L) works fine to park a link to another note (from a selected text).

I do my writing using  the Text window because I work on a number of Text windows at the same time. When new ideas pop in, sometimes, I just hit ctrl+alt+cmd+f to  create a footnote from there. It works great. But, if the idea happen to be related with another note I already have, then, I have to close the Text Window and do the link. That is a bit inconvenient.

But, if you are saying that is a system deep problem, then, it is  alright. I can live with it.

Thank you again.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2016, 10:21am

The Park Link command (⌘-shift-L) works fine in text windows; it moves the selection to the main window’s parking space.  Of course, the text window doesn't have a parking space.

WWW   IP Logged
Desalegn

Norway
Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2016, 10:56am

Quote:
it moves the selection to the main window’s parking space
hmm, yah, the menu is active even when the Text window is in focus. May be I don't understand how the parking works, I  don't see any effect when I hit the keyboard (except the little flashing of the Note menu).

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2016, 11:16am

I've already reported (off-forum) that I don't think link parking is working as expected in this context, i.e. as in MB's last post above. In other words - there may be a glitch: you should be able to use the method above, but can't right now (I test v6.6.2).

If/when the method works. Using 'park link' from a text window should make the little circle at the left of the tab bar go green to indicate a link is parked. If already green, the previously parked link should be replaced with the one just created. See more on link parking.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print