Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Release-notes-spot suggested (Read 835 times)
andreas grimm

Release-notes-spot suggested
Jul 29th, 2016, 5:35pm

On the 22nd of July I received an eMail announcing Tinderbox 6.6.2. What a terrific update by the way -- Thank you!

Today, by accident, I came across another update waiting to be installed. But not, as one might expect: 6.6.3, but rather 6.6.4. Two 6.6.x-update within just 7 days. Awesome.

And yet: Where does one turn to get consistent information about what has been added through these last two updates? The TinderboxSix-Help-menu still only shows release-notes up to version 6.6.2.

Therefore, I suggest to establish a "release-notes-spot" where one might turn to in order find reliable information of the most current version at any one time.

Is that feasible?

andreas

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Release-notes-spot suggested
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2016, 1:01pm

The explanation here is that v6.6.2 included some under-the-hood changes aimed at improvements down the line and these bit some users. Eastgate responded quickly with a new build - actually 2 as it turns out.  For 99% of folk 6.6.2==6.6.4 but either way, just update. There are no new features just fixes.

Updates. vN.X.Y. Generally bigger features tend to do into the 'v.N.X.0' releases and the .Y' releases fix/polish those and previous features.  however, stuff also gets added is response to particular users needs (as I can attest) and Eastgate generously sticks those in the next X or Y release. Things aren't held back, which chimes with the licence model based on time - no waiting for a new pay-for update.

I generally have an aTbRef update out on the day or within a few days (disclaimer: I'm the sole author of it). Admittedly of late there's been more lag as PhD deadlines have taken priority. I don't generally record fixes because my experience is folk who have a hot-button issue test that first for each new release: either it's fixed or it isn't.  Fix lists make hard reading. BBEdit's are exemplary in their depth but are actually not that informative as there's so much (often affect 1/few users) the finding what we as individual users would regard as relevant can be hard.

Backstage members have access to the 'Notes.tbx' which equates to v5 and older's 'Release notes' as packaged in the app. In truth, for the casual users it's confusing reading as it's written more for the app author as a reminder and for experienced users/beta testers.

TL;DR - look at aTbRef and the Help 'Recent changes'. If still with questions on a specific topic I'd drop a question to support via email.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
andreas grimm

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2016, 5:06pm

Thank you Mark.

I guess, I'll stick with the aTbRef then.

Cheers!

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2016, 5:59pm

You'll usually find detailed release notes in Tinderbox Help.

In this particular case, the fixes were hard to describe -- annoying little misbehaviors that involve side-effects of experimental features. Explaining what was wrong would have been harder than simply fixing it!

WWW   IP Logged
andreas grimm

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2016, 5:16pm

Thanks for the clarification, Mark B.

I think Mark A. nailed it:

Quote:
“however, stuff also gets added is response to particular users needs (as I can attest) and Eastgate generously sticks those in the next X or Y release. Things aren’t held back, which chimes with the licence model based on time - no waiting for a new pay-for update.”

So, at least this time, I guess there’s nothing left to say …

but thank you both Mark & Mark for being so generous to answer even those kind of questions.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print