Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Image import and Use (Read 1068 times)
Savvas

Image import and Use
Aug 03rd, 2016, 5:59pm

Hi

I swear I did a thorough search in the Forum and couldn't find my answer. So, apologies in advance.

What I wanted to do is create a note, that contains an image that can be displayed in Map View. So far I managed to import adornments (which don't work well as Notes) or add Images to the Text of a Note, that cannot be seen anywhere outside the Note. These images are not visible in List View or Map View, but only when the note is selected.

So, my question: Is what I want even possible? If the answer is yes, than a better How-To is needed.

Thank you.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Image import and Use
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2016, 6:17pm

Are you wanting the note's map icon to show an image instead of the default (plain colour - $Color). If so, use $Fill - see more here. The image in that article uses build-in fills but you can use your own. A difference with fills vs. inline images in note text (or image adornments) is that the source artwork for the fill is not added to the document but to the app's support folders (custom fills).

I hope that helps - if not please clarify.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Savvas

Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2016, 6:36pm

Thank you for the quick reply. In a sense you have answered my main question: my vision of having (say) the upper corner of a note display a thumbnail is obviously not possible right now.

So I tried to use the fill attribute to see how that would look (if the image does not get resized that might work well too). I put a copy of the jpeg file into the Fill Folder. I even edited the name to be only one word.

In addition, I set the Bkgnd Texture to the image, and the Interior of the Note to the same image. I set the Color of the interior to transparent.

None of these steps put the image in my note in map view. I think I'm missing more details.

Again, thanks.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2016, 4:15am

Quote:
display a thumbnail

A 'thumbnail' of what? If that's to be either custom image or built-in icon then use badges ($Badge). The image below (from Mark Bernstein's blog post here) uses, so I understand, custom badge ($Badge) artwork:

Source: http://markbernstein.org/elements/CharacterNotes.jpg

By comparison, using a $Fill in the above scenario, the artwork would fill the whole note icon surface.

If by 'thumbnail' you mean a dynamically generated thumbnail of the note's text contents, then the answer is 'No'. If nothing else, as $Text is a variable width/height space it's not clear how such a thumbnail would be generated.

I'll confess it's still not unambiguously clear what task you're trying to achieve. I'd suggest resolving how to use custom badges/fill before totally discounting them.

~~~~~~~~
Custom fills/badges work fine here. Below is an image of a file I just made:

'Note A' is a default note. 'Note B' uses a built-in badge and fill. Note C uses a custom badge and fill. Be aware that a fill image is not scaled and is drawn actual size with the top left of the fill image in the top left of the note's map icon.

Re the fill aspect of scale/resizing, do be aware Tinderbox is not a drawing app. If you've precise image needs, fix those in your image editor of choice and then use the desired output in Tinderbox.

Custom badge folder (PNG files): ~/Library/Application Support/Tinderbox/badges
Custom fill art folder (JPG files):
~/Library/Application Support/Tinderbox/fill

For both the above, when using custom art in $Badge or $Fill use the filename without extension, case insensitively. Thus if the file's name is "droplets.png", use an attribute value of 'droplets' and not 'Droplets' or 'droplets.png'. Unlike image adornment and inline $Text images, badges and fills are not stored as part of the TBX file. If working across, for instance, 2 Macs, you'd need to install any custom badge/fill artwork into the Tinderbox support folders on each of the Macs.

« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2016, 4:18am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Savvas

Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2016, 9:36am

You have answered the question completely. Badges is the way to go. I will follow the link on how to create custom badges.

Thank you for your effort!
Savvas

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2016, 10:31am

Great. Tinderbox has so many small features, it's sometimes hard to get quickly to which one we should be discussing. Links re badges:
Over time badges have become more flexible allowing discrete sub-sets of badges, larger sizes, etc. Although 32x32 pixels seems to be the suggested size for custom artwork you may be able to go larger; smaller such as 16x16 is still possible too. I would suggest artwork be square regardless of number of pixels.

« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2016, 10:32am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print