Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Losing keyboard focus (Read 1231 times)
Jordan

Losing keyboard focus
Aug 16th, 2016, 11:46am

I notice that often I'll be in the middle of typing a note name in Outline mode I think I've observed this in Map mode too, but it's been a while and Tinderbox will stop me from typing and revert to simply having the note selected. I'll then have to double-click on the note to get back into editing the note name.

Is this somehow related to agents running, or some other periodic background process? Is there a way to stop it from happening?

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Losing keyboard focus
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2016, 12:43pm

It's possible that something is badly wrong with your document -- an error in an action, maybe -- that's interrupting you on agent updates.  If so, switching to manual updates will resolve it.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2016, 12:45pm

If you've heavy** agent use going on and in outline view with agents in scope of the view*** the you may find the app grabs hold of the UI - as it needs to update it to reflect the agent update cycle which may change how the outline renders. If this occurs, turn off automatic agent updating (File menu), remembering to turn it on again if you normally want it on.

** This might be one big agent or many little ones. In a document of a few hundred notes you should notice anything but as you move to 000s or 0,000s then agents can become more noticeable.

*** if the current outline view shows any agents (collapsed or otherwise) they may have an effect.  Agents elsewhere, e.g. hidden inside other closed containers, should have no effect.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Jordan

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2016, 9:01pm

Ah I think what's going on is that I have an agent that matches the note and that also is intended to edit the note name. I take it there's no locking to prevent agents from editing a field the user's currently editing?

Bigger picture: I suspect I'm kludging something that Tinderbox provides a more straightforward way to do. Not wanting to switch to mousing to assign a prototype, I wrote an agent to check if $Name (of a note in a particular container) starts with a particular substring, and if so, set $Prototype appropriately and remove the substring. If I can set a keystroke to do the prototype-setting instead, that'd be an equally good solution.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2016, 1:02pm

You can set the prototype with a stamp, and stamps can have keyboard shortcuts if you like.

Also, be sure you aren't editing the name if you've already set the prototype.  No point in interrupting repeatedly when one change will suffice.

WWW   IP Logged
Jordan

Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2016, 7:20pm

Quote:
You can set the prototype with a stamp, and stamps can have keyboard shortcuts if you like.

OK, I think that's what I was after. Thanks!

I've looked in the docs and aTbRef, but don't see where to go to give a stamp a keyboard shortcut. How is that done?

« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2016, 7:22pm by Jordan »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2016, 3:39am

I believe you roll your own using the OS or utilities like KeyboardMaestro (which quite a few here seem to use). Any stamps defined in the document are listed in the stamps menu. It is the latter you target with a shortcut.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print