Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Agent prototype to find set values of parent note (Read 1011 times)
John Doernberg

Agent prototype to find set values of parent note
Aug 26th, 2016, 10:49am

I have created set attributes where the names of many companies in the suggested values space. I am trying to create an agent template or prototype that I can use with respect to each of the suggested values and will find notes in which a particular company in the set is among the selected values for that note. Iím thinking along the lines of creating a parent note for each company, with the goal of adding as a child note a version of the ďagent templateĒ that will find the notes with that parentís name among the selected values for the chosen attribute. I can of course just keep duplicating an agent and changing the name of the searched-for value in the copied version, but I thought there might be a more efficient way to create an agent that in effect self-adjusts based on its parent note. As always, I suspect that this is among TBXís many wonderful features that I just canít figure out or find. Is there a way to do this? Thank you.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Agent prototype to find set values of parent note
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2016, 12:12pm

Check out the Attribute Browser view. Once you get your head around the fact it's a view and not an agent, it's actually very good for just this sort of review task: which notes use this value of this attribute. By default the vie's scope is whole document but that too can be altered by setting a agent, within the view, to restrict the notes shown.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
John Doernberg

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2016, 12:39pm

It doesn't seem to yield easily copyable lists for each set value, but it is good for that -- thanks very much. I didn't understand the part of your answer that discussed restricting the scope of the display by creating an agent within the view.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2016, 12:48pm

In the AB view's top bar click the disclosure triangle next to the left-hand-pop-up and you'll reveal more configuration controls including those to set an agent.

Export - no.  I didn't mention that simply because it wasn't stated in the original question. AB view is an internal tool. To get lists for exports you'll need to use agents or notes with rules/edits running finds. If you've lots of notes and have many queries running across all of these just to get attribute value matches you'll probably find you'll either need to run agents manually or use edicts (with a find() replacing an agent's query) in order to ensure you don't overload the documents agent/rule update cycle (or so I've found). The latter's hard to discuss as passing readers tend to assume that agents have an effect in small docs. They don't. It simply that when you ramp up the amount of check-everything-for-something queries running all the time it will have an effect in larger docs, especially for regex-based operators like .contains.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print