Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Four Quadrant Matrix (Read 2043 times)
Andrew Saffer

Four Quadrant Matrix
Oct 30th, 2016, 7:21pm

Hi everyone,

I'd like to create a four quadrant scatter-graph matrix for my organisation's projects, with the Resources attribute on the X axis (graded 1-3) and Impact attribute on the Y axis (graded 1-3).

The best approximation of what I'm looking for that I could find on the web was this:

http://www.criticaltosuccess.com/how-to-create-a-static-four-quadrant-matrix-mod...

but I have in mind the old four quadrant charts we used in advertising many years ago.

Is there a way to do such a thing in Tinderbox?

Thanks, Andrew

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Four Quadrant Matrix
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2016, 6:37am

There are no specific charting tools as such but you could create a graph of this type from scratch as on a map you can plot $Xpos and $Ypos based on values of attributes (or values computed from actual attribute values. If you want coloured quadrants use 4 adornments. An adornment of zero width can be used as a horizontal or vertical dividing line thus as an axis line. Remember Tinderbox map co-ordinates reverse the polarity of the normal cartesian Y axis (i.e. $Ypos positive goes down from Y=0 not up).

Thus, yes but 'some assembly required'.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2016, 11:23am

This is one of the best applications for an adornment grid!

For a simple 4-quadrant map, just make a big, locked adornment with a 22 grid.

If the divisions along either axis, or both, are particularly significant, you might instead use a 66 grid.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2016, 6:15pm

@Andrew, I've updated an old demo for v6, here, to show some of the basic idea discussed above. If you add a prototype that (a) sets the attributes you want to track as key attributes and (b) the rule to set the $Xpos & $Ypos based on them you're pretty much good to go.

N.B. the above URL is not long term, so grab the file now.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2016, 12:27pm

For discussion

WWW   IP Logged
Andrew Saffer

Reply #5 - Nov 4th, 2016, 12:16am

Thank you Marks. This is exactly what I had in mind...

IP Logged
KrisWain3

Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2017, 1:40am

I have to agree with  with Mark Anderson that
Quote:
 There are no specific charting tools as such but you could create a graph of this type from scratch as on a map you can plot $Xpos and $Ypos based on values of attributes (or values computed from actual attribute values. If you want coloured quadrants use 4 adornments. An adornment of zero width can be used as a horizontal or vertical dividing line thus as an axis line. Remember Tinderbox map co-ordinates reverse the polarity of the normal cartesian Y axis (i.e. $Ypos positive goes down from Y=0 not up).

Thus, yes but 'some assembly required'.

Follow mark's instruction.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print